PDA

View Full Version : Possible disease need help please. New pic added

Rumika
04-01-2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/3004/medium/IMG_0968_Large_.JPG

Hello, I just purchased a candy cane coral and some of the polyps are dying. Last night we same a long thin clear worm extend and the tip was round. On the coral it looks like there is a white web that is around the polyps and there is a whole that leads inside. What should we do? Should we break off the affected polyps or a fresh water dip?
Your inpput would be greatly appreciated.
Thankx

Rumika
04-02-2007, 03:16 AM
O.K. so we still don't know how to post an image so that it becomes a large picture such as an attached image. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanx

woodcarver
04-02-2007, 03:23 AM
When you post ,scroll down to "manage attachments,"click and it will give you an option to "browse "your files . Choose photo ,down load and there you go.
..................Dave

christyf5
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Fixed your photo, you need to double click on the thumbnail (smaller photo) to get to the larger one, then post that one.

Anyway, it looks like you're experiencing a bit of tissue recession there. Personally I'd just break off the affected area, especially if it is the part that contains the worm. The worm, by the way, is probably a vermetid worm, which casts a mucous web to catch its food. This can sometimes irritate corals enough for them to recede.

Maybe someone can chime in here to tell you if you can save that piece that is closest to the main colony that is receding but the lower two bits that are mostly white already are probably a loss :neutral:

Scavenger
04-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I agree with Christy, frag off the effected area. Candycanes normally are an easy frag and I've done so and they never even closed up much during the process so I don't think it stresses them much. Perhaps put the effected frag in a flow area where the snail would cast its mucus away from the frag.

You might even just reposition the existing colony to do the same, but I'd personally consider the fragging.

bubblepuffer
04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I think most of the white web on the coral due to environtment changes.. like water change from LFS to your home tank. I see lot of Coral spitting out the web thing when you do water changes.. how long you owned that coral.. 24hrs?

Rumika
04-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Yes I purchased the coral on Saturday. Well I am glad that it is nothing to serious though. The vermitiod worm should I do anything in praticular about that, I guess one fragged it would go with the unwanted frag anyways.
Thanx all for you help.

Sherrie

howdy20012002
04-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I believe that the long thin worm you are talking about is actually the corals tentacle.
Candy corals extend their tentacles, especially when being feed..sometimes at night as well.
I can't see a worm living in it.
I personally wouldn't worry about that part of it.

bubblepuffer
04-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Just give it few days.. the Coral mostly in stress right now due to transportation, environment changes and water chemistry changes .. not like old home any more.. =) just like us human moved to a new area, stress for a bit then be Happy Coral again