PDA

View Full Version : To Sump or Not To Sump?

Oscar
04-01-2007, 07:02 PM
What are the pros and cons of a sump? I have still to make a decision on my first tank, but here is what I see so far:

Pros
A place to hide equipment More stable environment due to larger volume of water

Location to top up water, add salt etc

Cons:
Extra noise of water cycling more locations for water leakage

Care to add to the lists?

Thanks

Coldwater
04-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I would go with a sump because of a few of your pros and the sump can also act as a "jail" for the things that decide they don't want to play nice. But yes they make more noise.

Matt

Matt
04-01-2007, 08:27 PM
What are the pros and cons of a sump? I have still to make a decision on my first tank, but here is what I see so far:

Pros
A place to hide equipment
More stable environment due to larger volume of water
Location to top up water, add salt etc
Cons:
Extra noise of water cycling
more locations for water leakage
Care to add to the lists?

ThanksThere's all the cool plumbing you get to do/look at. Then there's the built-in water flow and O2 exchange. It can be a bit of a trial to tune the noise of the overflow. I like to hear the water burbling a bit, and I have had to un-silence my overflow a bit to cover the sound of the pumps.

albert_dao
04-01-2007, 08:39 PM
You can make completely silent overflows and I'd show you. But I'm suppose to be working and not goofing around on the internet. Will post an awesome diagram later for ya.

daddy01
04-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi,
I am thinking myself whether to add sump, I only have a 25G tank, and can't (dont't know the difference) between sump and refugium(?)
Jim

andsoitgoes
04-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi,
I am thinking myself whether to add sump, I only have a 25G tank, and can't (dont't know the difference) between sump and refugium(?)
Jim

No reason a sump can't be both :) mine is!

Mainly, though, the basic idea of a sump is to hold equip, increase o2, allow for topoff, skim, extra filtration from rock, bubble remover from skimmer, uv sterilization etc, etc.

And in my case, with many others, the otherwise empty area is a small refugium for me, with diff macro algaes, and is currently home for my troublemaker dottyback :)

Although it is risky (I have a HOB overflow and a maxijet 1200 for return) I would never go back. I can add my liquid reactor, phyto, purple up, etc all for maximum dispursal and the extra amount of water and filtration is *huge*

As for sound, I have a sponge in there that makes it go from loud and drainy, to quiet as a mouse.

So if you can, do it. For the health of your livestock! :)

marie
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi,
Jim
I refugium is a place for things to find refuge like macro algae (if you have herbiverous fish) and pods. It can be part of your sump or a separate tank that is still plumbed into the main tank.

Oscar
04-01-2007, 11:40 PM
As for sound, I have a sponge in there that makes it go from loud and drainy, to quiet as a mouse.

Sounds like a simple solution with the sponge, where do you install it?

andsoitgoes
04-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Sounds like a simple solution with the sponge, where do you install it?

you put it right over the drain hole, but I just tossed in a big fist size of chaeto and it did the same thing. Means I don't have to muddle with nitrate issues, and it does the same thing as the sponge :) Yay.

Oscar
04-02-2007, 12:27 AM
you put it right over the drain hole, but I just tossed in a big fist size of chaeto and it did the same thing. Means I don't have to muddle with nitrate issues, and it does the same thing as the sponge :) Yay.

For a newbie...

What is chaeto, as opposed to cheesies?

Der_Iron_Chef
04-02-2007, 12:44 AM
"Cheato" is short for "cheatomorpha" which is a macro algae often used to absorb nutrients, which lowers nitrates. Most often kept in a refugium.

Oscar
04-06-2007, 02:52 PM
You can make completely silent overflows and I'd show you. But I'm suppose to be working and not goofing around on the internet. Will post an awesome diagram later for ya.

Looking forward to that diagram when you get a chance.

Chin_Lee
04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
100% COMPLETELY silent method of overflow is the Herbie method
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=344892 (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=344892)
First few pages are the typical snotty skeptical RC posters who envy anybody coming up with good ideas that they haven't thought of already. But it really works. Basically water from the tank flows over the edge of your overflow as it normally would. ALL your water will go through a bulkhead at or near the bottom of your overflow. The pipe from that bulkhead into your sump will be controlled by a gate valve (IMPORTANT MUST USE GATE VALVE (not ball valve) which is more money but its a MUST HAVE). Once you have water running through tank and sump, (and now making lots of noise because the water is getting drained into that one bulkhead) you start dialing (slowly) the gate valve close until the water flow into the tank equals the flow from tank into sump. The water flow will then become dead silent and you can control the level of the water in your overflow with the gate valve. But you will need a fail safe plan in the event that a fish or something clogs up your gate valve and causes water in your tank to rise. Thats why you will need two bulkhead drains in your overflow. The second one will have a pipe that is extended in the overflow to about 2" below tank water level. In the event that the main drain gets clogged the water level will rise in the overflow and water will then drain into your backup drain. Lots of noise will be made and you will quickly be made aware of the malfunction on the first drain. You will be so shocked at how quiet this method is. I often have to check the water in the overflow to make sure the pumps are working properly.

Heres a link to more info on the other durso methods if you don't like complete silence and rather use a method that makes more noise.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69372&st=0

andsoitgoes
04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
"Cheato" is short for "cheatomorpha" which is a macro algae often used to absorb nutrients, which lowers nitrates. Most often kept in a refugium.

What he said ^_^

So far it's been a week and I've had complete silence from my overflow, and the chaeto is growing like mad.

It's cheap, easy and incredibly efficient. I had to fiddle a few times when putting it, but now it's quiet as a mouse, and I'd know, it's right in my bedroom ;)

Oscar
04-06-2007, 08:18 PM
What he said ^_^

So far it's been a week and I've had complete silence from my overflow, and the chaeto is growing like mad.

It's cheap, easy and incredibly efficient. I had to fiddle a few times when putting it, but now it's quiet as a mouse, and I'd know, it's right in my bedroom ;)

And where do you install the chaeto?

andsoitgoes
04-06-2007, 10:01 PM
And where do you install the chaeto?

I have mine covering over the drainage pipe, and some in the main overflow chamber. The amount covering the flow out to your sump. It's where I previously had the sponge.

Midknight
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
I have mine covering over the drainage pipe, and some in the main overflow chamber. The amount covering the flow out to your sump. It's where I previously had the sponge.

Gee Nick, how about a picture to show us. :wink:

Oscar
04-10-2007, 12:57 AM
100% COMPLETELY silent method of overflow is the Herbie method
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=344892 (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=344892)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69372&st=0

I defintely like the looks of this method. Thanks for posting.