PDA

View Full Version : What additives should I add to my reef tank and how much?

Mykiss
04-01-2007, 05:54 AM
I've checked the above stickies and have noticed that there's a lot of focus on adding calcium and Magnesium (and also maintaining alkalinity and pH).

In the past I've kept a marine tank and it has done ok e.g. corals surviving. All I've done is do my weekly and sometimes monthly 15% water changes and add calk water now and then. I've never tested the water.

I'm planning on setting another marine tank (45 gallons) with a 175w metal halide and was planning on moving some of my livestock into the new tank. These include some purple, brown mushrooms, riccordia, hammers, pulsing exina, white bubble tip anenome, star polyps, some zoos, and that's about it. This time I want to do water tests and keep water parameters where coral growth will occur and have the tank thrive and look great.

Question #1
what additives should I be adding into the tank and at what readings should they be? e.g. calcium, magnesium, iodine, Strontium & Molybdenum

Question #2
what is the ideal water temperature for happy corals and what salinity?

Thanks

I hope this thread will help many beginners like me.

marie
04-01-2007, 06:12 AM
First off never add anything you can't test for. I test for calcium, alk and Mg . With the corals you have listed you will probably be able to maintain good levels just with water changes.

IMO, a good range for SG is 1.024 to 1.026 and temperature somewhere between 78 to 82 degrees

andresont
04-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Question #1
what additives should I be adding into the tank and at what readings should they be? e.g. calcium, magnesium, iodine, Strontium & Molybdenum

Question #2
what is the ideal water temperature for happy corals and what salinity?

Thanks

I hope this thread will help many beginners like me.
below is JMO based on personal experience so read more set up your tank and be patient.
To # 2 Stable is more important then anything stay close to temp 24 C and sal 1.024 - 1.026, if you can.
With MH lights your tank can heat up to 30C, but it is OK providing you ORP is above 300 at least need to be 450 not more. The point is higher temp is ok if you can provide oxygen to your water.

to # 1 Stay away from aditives Unless you can check And monitor what is input and output. This is hard work and a lot of testing monitoring. The easy way is 5% water change per week. If you arenew go with bare Bottom and lots of flow, stay away from fish for at least 3 month (corals ok) and you will do just fine.
Do chemical filtration, phosfates for sure get rid of po4 and you will have clean tank

marie
04-01-2007, 03:50 PM
below is JMO based on personal experience so read more set up your tank and be patient.
To # 2 Stable is more important then anything stay close to temp 24 C and sal 1.024 - 1.026, if you can.
With MH lights your tank can heat up to 30C, but it is OK providing you ORP is above 300 at least need to be 450 not more. The point is higher temp is ok if you can provide oxygen to your water.

to # 1 Stay away from aditives Unless you can check And monitor what is input and output. This is hard work and a lot of testing monitoring. The easy way is 5% water change per week. If you arenew go with bare Bottom and lots of flow, stay away from fish for at least 3 month (corals ok) and you will do just fine.
Do chemical filtration, phosfates for sure get rid of po4 and you will have clean tank

I had to go and look up what 24c was in farenheit lol. 24c (75F) is a little to low for a reef tank IMO. While a reef may drop down to 75 I think it would be an absolute low. A temp of 26-27c would be a better temp to shoot for.

And for all you Newbies out there, don't let the whole orp thing scare you. It is entirely possible to have a successful reef tank without ever knowing what your orp is :lol:

fishface
04-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm planning on setting another marine tank :lol: hahahaha...of course you are Pat! :mrgreen: :wink:

Mykiss
04-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys and gals!

Ok, so pretty much I'll just try to stick with the weekly water changes, add Kalk water now and then, and maintain the temp and salinity levels. I guess for softies like mine there's not a lot that I really need to add in the water. Thanks all!

Mykiss
04-01-2007, 07:49 PM
PS. Fishface... yeah, it's addictive! When I saw your setup I was definately wanting one!....I'm getting there....