PDA

View Full Version : starfish?

Godfry
03-31-2007, 10:43 PM
I just bought a small red fromia starfish and was wondering if anyone had any advice on keeping them. feeding, do I have to feed it? any tips would be appreciated.

tmbar19
04-01-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd like to get one too, but want to know how hardy / easy they are first. I know they're more difficult than the brittle starfish. I've also seen a lot of feet bitten off in tanks. More info on these little guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - you guys and gals are such a wonderful support system !!!

midgetwaiter
04-01-2007, 08:39 PM
They are similar in most ways to Blue Linka stars but are usually much hardier. Take your time in acclimating them and try giving it some small bits meat like krill or mysis. If your system is large enough (50g +) and mature you shouldn't have to feed it regularly.

andsoitgoes
04-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I've got 2 in my 45g Reef tank and they're fantastic, I've never supplemented and I've seen them THRIVE. They feed off of algae and detrius.

The key is to keep the salinity at a regular level, and make sure things are "stable" in your tank. Once you do that, you'll be good to go! If I had more room for extra bioload, I'd add one into my Nano, the wife'll be getting one for sure, they're just fabu.

Godfry
04-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I was wondering if water currant is a big deal cause they don't swim, I don't have a lot in my tank.

andsoitgoes
04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
mine have never been bothered by it, they don't even seem to care when I'm fiddling around in the tank and knock them off onto the substrate, though *I* feel bad :)

I wouldn't worry :)