PDA

View Full Version : Need Skimmer Information

Black Phantom
03-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Has anyone here ever used the Red Sea Prism hang on skimmer. I was going to run skimmerless on my 45 but if that one works ok I might use it.
I'm limited to size. Any others that you might have tried that you liked or disliked let me know

DanG
04-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I had one for a while on my 40 and it worked well. It was a bit trickey to get tuned initially, but once I got it dialed in, all was good.

i have crabs
04-01-2007, 12:11 AM
i agree it worked ok but i always had to fiddle with it

Johnny Reefer
04-01-2007, 04:12 AM
I used to have 2 Prism Pro Deluxes. One on the Reef and one on the FOWLR. POS IME. I now have EuroReefs. 100X the skimmer the Prisms are. I realize EuroReefs aren't HOB, but there are good quality skimmers that are HOB. Such as Deltec for example. The point is spend the extra cash and get 100X the skimmer than a crappy Prism Pro. JMO.

Cheers,

Raf
04-01-2007, 05:02 AM
ditto,

Deltec MCE 600 4 me ;)

Quagmire
04-01-2007, 05:09 AM
A less expencive but still good choise would be a Remora,or Remora pro.But if at all possible go for an insump or inline skimmer.Like a Euroreef

justinl
04-01-2007, 05:45 AM
got a prism and it works well enough for me. I do have a relatively light bioload though.

anyways, the thing with prisms is that they need quite a bit of fiddling. I put an airvalve on my airline and it worked MUCH better. It took me a couple of days to find the right balance between water flow and air flow without losing the siphon while still ending up with the foaminess.

If you have the cash get a better skimmer, but on a low budget, I see nothing wrong with it.

EmilyB
04-01-2007, 06:26 AM
If you have a very low bioload, it will be better than nothing and contribute to better oxygenation.

justinl
04-01-2007, 06:47 AM
ah very good point.

marie
04-01-2007, 03:37 PM
If you have room inside the tank there is always the tunze

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30063

Black Phantom
04-01-2007, 11:25 PM
The tank is mounted in a tight spot so space is a constraint. I only have a max of 4 inches off the back of my tank.
There is enough surface turbulance that I don't worry about getting good gas transfer but as you say, any skimming is better then none.
I used to have a Red Sea Berlin on my big tank before I changed to the PM bullet and that one drove me nuts. I was constanly fiddling with that thing, one day it would work great and the next it would be plugged up and I had to take it all apart.
Sounds like the Prism might be the same