PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: VHO ballast and/or wavemaker

Son Of Skyline
11-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Anybody have any of these items they're willing to part with?

I'm continuing my slow buildup of my 120gal and I think it's time to get some VHO actinics and a wavemaker. Right now I'm running 250w Iwasakis with 60w of NO actinics which are useless (no difference on or off). My powerheads are also all constant.

I'd like to run at least 2 110w VHO tubes (would 4 be better?).

Let me know. If I don't get a response soon I'm just going to buy these items new. It may be a longshot but who knows. Money is sitting in my wallet and I need to spend it on reef stuff before I spend it on booze, drugs...etc :wink:

Canadian Man
11-29-2002, 07:39 PM
Sorry I don't have any of the items you want but I can tell you that 4 actinics are much better than 2.
4 with my 2 Iwasaki's (250w) looks great.

Son Of Skyline
11-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Sorry I don't have any of the items you want but I can tell you that 4 actinics are much better than 2.
4 with my 2 Iwasaki's (250w) looks great.

Thanks for the info. The only thing holding me back on 4 VHO bulbs is the electricity. As it is I'm about 1 major appliance away from tripping my breaker. I figure that an extra 440w of current may cause outages. I'm still trying to figure out a way however.

Rus
11-29-2002, 10:02 PM
i have a 660 with new harness i would sell you , make me an offer if you'd like

thanks , Russ

you can email me if you are interested

Son Of Skyline
11-29-2002, 10:14 PM
i have a 660 with new harness i would sell you , make me an offer if you'd like

thanks , Russ

you can email me if you are interested

Email sent :)

reefburnaby
11-30-2002, 01:25 AM
Hi,

If you want a effective but inexpensive way to drive VHOs, then something like a WH7 would do the job. They are around $60-$70 and they can drive two to four 4 foot lamps (depending on the configuration and how much light you want).

- Victor.

Son Of Skyline
11-30-2002, 01:44 AM
Hi,

If you want a effective but inexpensive way to drive VHOs, then something like a WH7 would do the job. They are around $60-$70 and they can drive two to four 4 foot lamps (depending on the configuration and how much light you want).

- Victor.

Thanks Victor! After reading your response I did a search on the WorkHorse and it looks like it may be the best way to go. So the WH7 will drive 4 110w VHO lamps?

StirCrazy
11-30-2002, 05:31 AM
Thanks Victor! After reading your response I did a search on the WorkHorse and it looks like it may be the best way to go. So the WH7 will drive 4 110w VHO lamps?

not 4.. you would need two workhorse 7's to drive 4 VHO tubes

Steve

reefburnaby
11-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Hi,

Yes, the WH7 can drive 4 lamps. The first and simplest way to connect 4 VHO lamps to one WH7 is to connect 1 bulb per set of wires. The WH7 has 4 sets of wires - each set is composed of one red wire and one yellow wire. Yupe..it will light, but it will not be very bright.

http://www.fulham.com/NewFiles/wire07.gif

The other method is to connect the lamps in series-parallel combination. Basically, we will connect two lamps together in series so that it looks like one long 8 foot VHO bulb. Then, connect the two 8 foot long VHO bulbs to the WH7 -- each 8 footer is connected to two red wires and two yellow wires.

http://www.fulham.com/NewFiles/wire11.gif

The third option is to use the WH8. Basically, a WH8 is two WH7 in the same package.

- Victor.

StirCrazy
12-01-2002, 12:21 AM
WH8 still has a max power output of 220watts, so only two 4' VHOs will be powered properly.. actualy the only difference I can see between it and a WH7 is it is 0.02 amps less powerfull than a WH7 and 1.25" longer.. :roll:

did you find some unplublished documentation on it Victor?

Steve