PDA

View Full Version : Help! Problem with Branching Hammer

castaway
03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
I have had this branching hammer for a couple of months.
In the last few days the heads are dying off, one is separating(Peeling off) from the skeleton. Not Brown Jelly disease. The flesh is there one day then is gone overnight. All water parameters are good. All other corals,softies,LPS and clams, doing great.

Skimmer Juice
03-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Same thing that just happend to my frogspawn.

Cam
03-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Maybe a bristle worm?

castaway
03-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Maybe a bristle worm?

No bristle worm
It happens very fast
I watched one head recede then disintegrate other heads are falling off of the skeleton.

kwirky
03-30-2007, 04:10 PM
how's the flow where it's at? how many cm/second do you think it is?

castaway
03-30-2007, 04:40 PM
how's the flow where it's at? how many cm/second do you think it is?

Its in a low flow area moderate light(175w 14K MH)
It was doing great for 2 months then a couple of days ago it started.

Diana
03-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Any other corals near it? The same thing happened to a couple heads of my frogspawn, then the rest were fine. I'm thinking something brushed up against them. They were only near a couple mushrooms... which I think can be toxic enough to do it.

-Diana

FishFun
03-31-2007, 04:07 AM
Sounds like a infection to me, Brown Jelly is just one form of a bacteria infection there are many. If you can Id move it out to a QT tank so that you can watch it, & the most important it does not spread what it may have!!!

BCOrchidGuy
03-31-2007, 04:14 AM
Check water flow, check for neighbours that may be bothering it at night. Double check your water, take a sample into a LFS and make sure they're getting the same thing you get when you check pH, Nitrates, etc...

Frogspawn and hammers are not supposed to like lots of flow, mine however seems to so maybe make some minor changes but by all means as was mentioned earlier, QT tank if you can and if not try to beg borrow or... find one.

Doug