PDA

View Full Version : Ballast choice for Ushio 400w

Aquattro
11-28-2002, 10:42 PM
I have the option of a S51 or a Son Agro ballast for the same cost. Any opinions on either of these? Thanks!

pocilipora
11-28-2002, 10:58 PM
In my opinion, I would go with another brand of bulb. I have had 3 bulbs prematurely fail. And another well known reefer on this board has had at least double this amount fail within the first 3 months of use. Even people in europe running the proper ballast have problems with these bulbs.
I think both those ballasts you mentioned overdrive the bulb prematurly ageing it, but if I had to Id go with an M135 pulse start ballast.
Its too bad because I like the color of the bulb. But for me its back to Iwasakis with a bunch of VHO actinics.

Aquattro
11-28-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm aware of the problem with them blowing up, but I read on RC somewhere that it was restricted to certain batch numbers. I had one blow similar to Marc's, but it was almost a year old when it blew.
According to Paul from ahclighting.com, the HPS ballasts were better, light wise, than the M135. The M135 just helps the bulb start, but does nothing for the quality of light.
Switching to Iwasakis isn't an option; I tried one on my tank and was really unimpressed with the color. I don't have enough room to add sufficient actinics to compensate! :P
I can get the Son Agros for $86, so I might try those, unless someone suggests a reason why the S51 is better.
I did notice the ballast to lamp distance is only 2 ft. with the S51, so that might disqualify it right away!

pocilipora
11-28-2002, 11:23 PM
I guess all you can do is try one and see how it works. But the bottom line is that the Ushio bulb thats sold does not have the proper ballast in North America....yet. :shock: Which is kind of weird. :?

Aquattro
11-28-2002, 11:25 PM
I believe there isn't a proper ballast due to the voltages we run vs. Europe. I don't think we'll ever get a ballast that is perfect. Apparently the S51 is the closest we have here.

stephane
11-30-2002, 04:02 PM
The best ballast from wath I read is the 430 agro and when you will be tired of the hushio you could switch to Radium cause It run them very well to

Aquattro
11-30-2002, 04:05 PM
Stephane, I've seen the Radium now on 3 tanks. I won't run them personally. Too blue and washed out for me. But I change my mind a lot, so don't quote this next year :D

stephane
11-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Have you see them on agro ballast because there a major differance the agro is very intense withe blue

For my self it gave hard coral color never obtain with anyting else but some soft coral look better under other light

Aquattro
11-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Stephane, I've seen it run on a M59, the bluewave M135, and a blueline e-ballast. The e-ballast was the nicest, but still a bit washed out for me. Maybe if they were supplemented with VHO daylight tubes they would look better.

Aquattro
11-30-2002, 04:27 PM
Also, the Son Agro apparently burns them out in about 7 months!!

stephane
11-30-2002, 04:45 PM
I read people telling that but nome who have real experience with them I run them for 4 month now and everyting seem find so far I hope everyting will be find

Have you realy read a guy who have burn them after 7 month? Do you have a link cause I read everyting I could found and never reach such ting but only people who claim they will last less but on paper not experience

tank

Aquattro
11-30-2002, 04:51 PM
Stephane, no, I haven't seen real proof, just speculation that bulb life will be comprimised.

stephane
11-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Tank Brad

I see a lot of user who have them on HQI agro and none complain so IMO it's more of a another lightning legend than everyting anyway I will keep update if my bulb fail

see you!

Aquattro
12-05-2002, 02:10 AM
So I wired up my new Venture Son Agro ballasts tonight...I think I gotta by the fishies some shades!! Much brighter. Unfortunately I stared at the bulb for a second and can't see much right now...I think the color is whiter. I'll know in a bit! :D

StirCrazy
12-05-2002, 02:55 AM
Maby you should get Adam to bring his radium over and see how it looks on a sun agro ballast :wink: might be nice to see the actualy difference from the PFO's to the Sun Agro's

Steve

Aquattro
12-05-2002, 03:38 AM
Or Jeanna could bring two...