PDA

View Full Version : Sand Colour

rmoss25
11-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Hello all,
I noticed from the pictures posted the nice white sand that some people have in their reef tanks. I was just wondering what type of sand this is? It's colour and particle size are remarkable. The only sand that my LFS has is dark and coarse. Any one know where I can get some sand like this?

Delphinus
11-28-2002, 07:39 PM
Caribsea Aragamax, aka "oolitic" or "sugar sized aragonite [calcium] sand" ..... or (for about half the price of Caribsea) www.saltwaterconnection.com also has nice white sugar-sized calcium sand...

Bob I
11-28-2002, 08:19 PM
There is also that "Peen" sand. It is white, and inexpensive. Maybe Ross or Kim will chime in, and tell you where to get it. :D :D :D

Canadian Man
11-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Hopefully you realize as well when the sand is dry and sitting in the bag it will look darker.
Once you get it in the tank and have lots of light shining down on it it looks very white.

Don't know if you knew this all ready :)

rossb
11-30-2002, 02:27 PM
I found three type of "sand" to use. The coral sand you purchase is expensive but it has two characteristcs that you need. One is it is round or oval in shape (not sharp ...for burrowing critters). The other is the make up (sort of coral in nature). The problem you will find is that it is expensive...especially if you have a big tank. I searched out the bulletin boards for other options and found three. The first is peening beads. They are used to peen metal (it makes it harder) and are round. They come in various sizes. I used 2 bags of #10 and 2 bags of #13...but I think the 13 is too fine (these are 20 bucks for 25 kilo's). I also used some silica sand that I got from princess auto ..which is about the same price and then some sand blasting lime glass from princess auto which was 15 bucks for 25 kilo's.

If you ever drive down to the states...check out deep south tropical play sand at home depot. It is 5 bucks for 50 pounds and is exactly the right stuff. It apparently has a bit of an oil coating .. too keep the dust down (as does all play sand). despite this fact is it widely used stil in the states.

it looks like this (sorry for the picture size)

[http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rossb/aqu_3.jpg

200gal
12-02-2002, 03:28 AM
I would like to add that the more expensive aragonite sand will help to replenish Calcium and other micro nutrients that are being used up on your reef. Also helps to add some alkalinity and help to stabilize the PH. And if deep enough should help to reduce nitrates.

200gal
12-02-2002, 03:31 AM
I would like to add that the more expensive aragonite sand will help to replenish Calcium and other micro nutrients that are being used up on your reef. Also helps to add some alkalinity and help to stabilize the PH. And if deep enough should help to reduce nitrates.

EmilyB
12-02-2002, 03:47 AM
Yes, absolutely...

I top off the sand with a trusted good quality Caribsea Aragamax twice yearly, for almost four years now. Ca maintains over 400.

I'd never trust a repackaged sand, but that is just me I guess.... :roll:

StirCrazy
12-02-2002, 05:28 AM
about this "replenishing" ability of caribsea .. it is only partialy true. it has been showen again and again that it will only buffer the water satafactory if the ph drops so low that you would most likely lose your critters first..

another test using caribsea, and a few other types including silica and lime showed that a tank left on its own with no additives added will crash in both alk and Ca. the silical tank crashed after 1 month, the lime after 2.5 months and the Caribsea after 3 months.. so yes there is some buffering going on but is it enuf to rely on??? no..

I was looking for the cheep way originaly but after exparamenting with lime and some other types I decided to bite the bullert and buy 10 bags of caribsea.. well it was actualy the one Jason is circulating around for 1/2 the price. there are several other things to concider as RossB has pointed out.. but you can add to your conciderations that if you get sanblasting sand make sure it is 100% silica sand, some have things like fieldspar and such in them which will poisen your tank..

There are a couple good sand threads on this board and on others. several people use silican and have good luck with it, others use arganite and like it.. I bought the arganite as I figured I had spent several thousand bucks already what was another 200.00 :roll:

JMHO

Steve

EmilyB
12-02-2002, 05:45 AM
Well, I'm approaching the dreaded four year mark...you know...where you are supposed to throw everything away anyway.... :lol:

Anyway, I've never had Ca below 400. All I have ever done is water changes and substrate replenishment. :shock:

Bob I
12-02-2002, 09:51 PM
another test using caribsea, and a few other types including silica and lime showed that a tank left on its own with no additives added will crash in both alk and Ca. the silical tank crashed after 1 month, the lime after 2.5 months and the Caribsea after 3 months..

BULL, my tanks have been running for more than a year, and I add nothing. Nothing has ever crashed.

StirCrazy
12-02-2002, 11:28 PM
another test using caribsea, and a few other types including silica and lime showed that a tank left on its own with no additives added will crash in both alk and Ca. the silical tank crashed after 1 month, the lime after 2.5 months and the Caribsea after 3 months..

BULL, my tanks have been running for more than a year, and I add nothing. Nothing has ever crashed.

Bob, you do 50% water changes every couple weeks don't you? :roll: befor you call bull you beter make sure what you are saying.. I am talking about tanks that have been set up and NOTHING has been added.. no water changes or anything.

besides... maby it is your tapwater.... :wink:

Steve

kgb
12-02-2002, 11:42 PM
hey that aint ture either they guy at golds has done 2 wqater changes on his tank in 4 months and only 15 % to 20%
and it is doing good (atleast so far)
also i have read on RC that some people dont do water changes for months when useing this certain mud in the refugium with no problems

Bob I
12-03-2002, 12:23 AM
Bob, you do 50% water changes every couple weeks don't you? :roll: befor you call bull you beter make sure what you are saying.. I am talking about tanks that have been set up and NOTHING has been added.. no water changes or anything.

besides... maby it is your tapwater.... :wink:

Steve

Sorry old chap, my "BULL" stands. I change virtually no water :D