PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-Tail Damsels

AJ_77
11-28-2002, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking about ordering a pair of these damsels from J&L to come with the shrimp order. My son likes the electric blue/yellow colouring, and I like the size and ease of care, and the MO price.

Before I order, does anyone have a pair of these for sale locally? I notice that sometimes people tire of these fish for whatever reason.

Thanks,

Alan :D

Bob I
11-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Before you buy, I would caution you. They are damsels, and you do not have room for two. You would probably soon have one. I have kept three in a 50, and they were too territorial. I have read you should not try to keep only one. It should be three or a shoal. But you do not have room for three. But that is only what I have read and experienced.

EmilyB
11-28-2002, 11:05 PM
I have three YT damsels that have been here about three years now. When I had them in the 72g (4ft), I had to relocate number three because it was being beaten up. The remaining two then each had their own 2 foot territory. I reintroduced number three when I moved everything to the 155g (6ft). Then each had their own 2 foot territory again. :roll:

That's been my experience anyway.

canadawest
11-29-2002, 01:47 AM
I have had a single YT Damsel in my 100gal tank for about 18 months now, no problems at all. I actually marvel at how accomodating it is of it's tankmates. Never chases or harrases other fish unless they try to hang out in his hovel.

Bob, what's the reasoning behind not keeping just one?

PS.. It was one of the first tank inhabitants and thus the theory of it establishing territory and taking over is incorrect in this case.

Bob I
11-29-2002, 02:15 AM
Bob, what's the reasoning behind not keeping just one?

That came out of a book, it states keeping just one tends to make them pugnacious. Referring to YT Damsels in particular. Fenner says keep them in odd numbers like three, or five, or seven.

My problem with Alan wanting to keep two is that he intends to keep them in a 33 gallon tank. I am just alerting him to possible problems. Remembering that once they are in, you have to tear the whole tank down to get them out if there is a problem.

AJ_77
11-29-2002, 04:00 AM
Responses are all appreciated - thanks! Maybe a 33 is too small, period. I can see it in a 100 though, that would certainly provide the space. I'm not sure I follow this "minimum 3, maximum shoal" theory... :?

I think we'll just hold off for now. Thanks again,

Alan :D