PDA

View Full Version : orange mantis please identify

draco
03-28-2007, 01:58 AM
I caught a orange mantis shrimp in our 90 gal it is about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide.VERRY VICIOUS i have him in a 2L bottle in the tank with a bunch of holes in it. It has killed about 12 snails and 2 hermit crabs,and I havent seen our emerald crab in a while.please identify

justinl
03-28-2007, 03:24 AM
sorry but I am going to need better pictures to get an ID. The fact that he took out mostly snails and hermits tells me that it is probably a smashing type of mantis. Hitch hiker mantids usually end up being the rather common species G viridis which i won't rule out but it may be a number of species. hard to tell any defining features.

where was the rock originally from? If you say Florida (tampabaysaltwater?) then most likely N. wennerae.

He should be fine in that 2l bottle for a short while. so please don't kill it. Sell it to someone. preferably not to an lfs as they will likely kill it.

justinl
03-28-2007, 03:25 AM
lol i just saw your ad in the classified section.

draco
03-28-2007, 03:38 AM
I have a bad camera but it has a blue tail and red lines between segments and it is a puncher from the look of the shells half of the shell is missing.

justinl
03-28-2007, 04:01 AM
lol yeah definitely a smasher. as to what species? the intersegmental red lines allows me to narrow it down to either a G. ternatensis or a G smithii.

does it have fine white speckles on it? there are two little feathery "wings" on the side of it's head. What colour are they?

when I say smashing dactyls do you know what im talking about? they are the big bulky arms that it uses to hit with. on the inside of each arm there will be a large circular marking. can you describe it?

btw while it chills in that bottle could you please put the bottle in a relatively dark place in your tank? it would help the mantis out greatly. you could also feed it once every three days. grocery store bought frozen shrimp would work fine or some other large meaty food that you have like krill or silverside.

andresont
03-28-2007, 04:34 AM
good pics!

draco
03-29-2007, 12:13 AM
under better lighting it is orange with a blueish green tail. it has white spots where the legs attach to the body and white spots on each leg.It has pink punchers and green with orange stripe antenna the wings by the head are pink with a white center.

draco
03-29-2007, 12:27 AM
I have moved him to a 2 1/2 gal tank for now he loves frozen mysis shrimp he gobbles it up right away.But he is for sale. I dont want a nano tank.

justinl
03-29-2007, 01:56 AM
okaaayy... hmm. I want ot say G. smithii but only parts of the description fit. I give up. I don't know what species you got.

Moogled
03-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Man, that's like trying to guess who a person is under a mask. Maybe a P. ciliata?

You'll need to get AT LEAST mediocre pictures before we can make any attempt to ID your mantis.

Sorry dude.

justinl
03-29-2007, 06:10 AM
p ciliata is the obvious pick if the overall colour is orange but the description of all the parts sounds like a freak hybrid G. smithii, Pciliata, G chiragra and a bit of i don't know, lol. ah well i tried,

dunl
03-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Just get some good pictures with focus. They don't have to be so close that you can't focus on it.

I have yet to see a mantis that doesn't stay still long enough to get a decent photo of.