PDA

View Full Version : There was some hanky panky in my tank today....

Diana
03-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Cus my male bengaii cardinal is holding eggs in his mouth!

Its odd, I wasnt even sure if I picked a male and female out of the batch of them at J&L about a month ago. Well, I guess I did some good pickin, because the two were doin the dance today and the male has a nice mouthful. Coming from an african cichlid background Raf and I are quite experienced with mouthbrooders... however this time we will not have the luxury of being able to strip the eggs from the mouth and tumble them ourselves. :)

I am thinking of getting a small longspine urchin for the younguns to hide in, would this be okay for my 90 reef tank?

I dont have much hope for the young... I am well trained in baby-rearing-disappointment what with reidi seahorses and clownfish that have fry every two weeks.... and yet to have a single one survive. ;)

I'll post pics soon!
-Diana + Raf

EmilyB
03-27-2007, 05:47 AM
You can always do this..:biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/FakeUrchin.JPG

Diana
03-27-2007, 05:53 AM
oh good lord.....

lets call that a last-minute backup plan mmmmkay? ;)

justinl
03-27-2007, 05:53 AM
you could try removing the fry and putting them in a separate tank. small mini Kreisel-ish tanks seem to work well. and a DIY urchin would be fun :biggrin: lol that urchin is retro!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-27-2007, 07:40 AM
If you want, I can try raising some of the fry in my frag tank. It has a long spined urchin in there already. I'll just move the Marine Betta down into the sump:biggrin:

Good luck.

Moogled
03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Snappy had a Bangaii that was holding fry last year during a reef meet. I'm not sure if anything ever became of it, but maybe you can send him a PM and see if he has any information/advice to offer?

spikehs
03-27-2007, 03:45 PM
i'd go to the breeding forum @ RC, there is quite a bit of info w/ regards to raising the banggai if you are interested...I did it for a batch or two, they take baby brine shrimp right away.... the hardest part IMO, is getting them trained on prepared food...