PDA

View Full Version : should I run my fans to keep lights cool?

Gools
03-27-2007, 03:05 AM
I have changed around my setup and am now running a Reefkeeper 2, so I have it turn on my fans when the tank hits a certain temp. But lately it's been cool in my basement, cause I've been leaving the window open, so the tank stays cool. So the fans haven't turned on, very nice not having to listen to the extra noise, but when I open the canopy to feel very hot, and the braces, and black trim are very warm. So I'm just wondering if I should have them turn on when the halides turn on? Running 2- 400w, and 2 -175w, plus 4 54w T5's.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

GrimReefer
03-27-2007, 03:52 AM
i think it would be more energy efficient to run a canopy fan when your halides are on, and use an external or more powerful canopy fan (or two?) when the tank hits your temp limit. that's how i've been using my RK2 and it's been working great. it's difficult to say what configuration would work best for you as every system is unique, and the RK2 allows so many possibilities.

Doug
03-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I would myself Nigel. I find bulbs just get to hot and even more so when confined in a hood. I never even run my 175,s than are in the open, without cooling them, but thats me though.

This is even when its cooler and I know the fans cooling is making my heaters run somewhat more.

Gools
03-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Well I've got 4 -4" fans in there, so maybe I'll have 2 kick on with the lights, and then when the tank gets to hot, I'll have the ReefKeeper kick on the other 2.

Doug
03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Well I've got 4 -4" fans in there, so maybe I'll have 2 kick on with the lights, and then when the tank gets to hot, I'll have the ReefKeeper kick on the other 2.

That sounds reasonable and worth a try.