PDA

View Full Version : Purple Pseudochromis aggression a concern?

Rippin
03-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi all,

I've had a Purple Pseudochromis for the past 4 weeks or so and although it isn't super-aggressive, it still nips at the fins and attacks my Six Line Wrasse often. The poor Wrasse now always has pieces missing out of its tail fin. It does heal within a couple days but it doesn't stay that way for long. Other than the constant pecking the wrasse doesn't look too bothered by it (or it's too dumb to stay out of the pseudochromis' way).
I also have a Yellow Watchman Goby that has been hiding under a rock for the past 2 weeks. I'm thinking that it is shy because of the aggressive nature of the pseudochromis. The goby is the largest fish in the tank and I'm sure that it can hold it's own but it's still hiding. It's a pain to feed.

Soooo....do you think the pseudochromis' aggression should be a concern for me? Do you think that the constant picking at the wrasse will eventually wear it down? Goby's shyness will be overcome once the pseudochromis is out of the tank?

I'd hate to get rid of the pseudochromis since it's such a stunning looking fish, but I want the goby to come out and play eventually :lol:

And to think that I originally wanted an Orchid Dottyback....whew.

Anyway, pict for views :)

http://members.shaw.ca/nemod/aquarium/purple_pseudochromis.jpg

Neil
03-27-2007, 03:24 AM
six lines are known to be agressive, and this guy made your six line his little... well you get the point-IIRC these guys can be mean little buggers. very territorial

calkrog
03-27-2007, 02:58 PM
i've had a purple pseudo for about 8 months now, together with 2 different types of gobies, and the pseudo chases the lawnmower around once in a while but i've had no problems. although im sure he did have something to do with the demise of my yellow watchman. but the blue tang chases the pseudo around once in a while and puts him in his place so overall everything seems fine. on the other hand several people have warned me about the aggresiveness of the pseudo.

Rippin
03-27-2007, 03:45 PM
If this gets any worse I might have to sell this bad boy. Would a black Percula Clown fish add to the chaos?