PDA

View Full Version : Help Asap!

digitalsteve
03-27-2007, 01:22 AM
i need help asap!

my eel(whiteeyed moray has been doing great , very active agressive feeder etc . all of a sudden i come home today and he looks dead. i grabbed him out of the tank after making a bloody mess in the tank and low and behold he is still alive , so i put him in the sump and he seems to be doing a little better. the only change i have made was adding a rose lipped sand conch to stir up the sand bed

all of the parameters are within range

ph 8.1, temp 80, nitrates and nitrites are both zero and i didnt detect any ammonia.

i cant figure this out for the life of me...

my mandarin goby seems to be doing great , if not a little ****ed since i moved some rocks. all the crabs and such are normal

i did notice a little mucous coming form the conch could that be killing my eel?

i did lose a snowflake moray a few weeks ago for no explained reasons but the whiteeyed had been doing so well ......

i am at wits end here trying to figure this out

thanks guys

Steve

Salmon King
03-27-2007, 01:48 AM
Do you have enough water current in your tank/oxygen

Salmon King
03-27-2007, 01:51 AM
My eel if he eats alot will lay eround not moving much.Just like us.

Salmon King
03-27-2007, 01:56 AM
If you can do a water change and new carbon if you think its poisin.If you do it and the eel looks better you khow its the water.

digitalsteve
03-27-2007, 02:28 AM
well i havent fed him at all in the past 2 days... before that he ate a full meal as per usual.

all the water seems to be fine ...like i said even my mandarin is fine

could the food be bad? could that be what killed my other eel as well?

digitalsteve
03-27-2007, 02:30 AM
and i did a water change of about 10% and he still seems to be doing really bad ... im thinkin he will likely kick the bucket........

i am some ****ed....

Salmon King
03-27-2007, 02:48 AM
What did you feed him

justinl
03-27-2007, 03:15 AM
as salmon king asked, what feeding routine do you use? how often? what food? any supplment? how old is the food?

Are there any outer injuries or abnormalities on the actual eel? are the eyes clouded? How are the gill movements?

I know it sounds like im interrogating you, but the info would help. I doubt it's the water as the mandarin is doing fine. mandarins are a bit less hardy than morays i think.

digitalsteve
03-27-2007, 06:27 AM
ive had him about a 3 weeks now .. he was eating krill. food was about 3 months old i would guess.... kept in a sealed bag in the freezer....

his breathing was fine when i last checked up on him... and then i lookedc at him again later and he just wast breathing at all....

i fed him about 10 large krill every 3 days .. he is about 15 inches long and about quarter to loonie thickness and very healthy.. vibrant eyes , no damage....

i am at a loss for ideas ... i strongly suspect it was the food as my mandarin has survived both eels and i fed them both the same foods and same feeding schedule( the eels ) .....

well i guess imma gonna take a few days and try and figure things out before i venture any further... maybe do a few preventitive water changes just to be on the safe side....

though the negative test results puzzle me ....

tank has been running fine for well over 2 years.....

Thanks for the help guys

Steve

Salmon King
03-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Iguess he/s gone,I have had my eel over 3 years.I had a snowflake before himNever had a problem.One thing about eels is they need water movement because they don/t swim like fish.I feed mine octupus/squid/formula food and krill.I don/t think it was the food because they know when it/s bad.I have friends with eels .They are really hardy.Don/t give up on them.I don/t think it was a good idea putting him in the sump because it would cause more stress.It/s hard to tell what happend.I would through that food away just incase.

Salmon King
03-27-2007, 07:15 AM
It was/nt your water as you would have seen the mandarin acting funny before the eel.

justinl
03-27-2007, 07:34 AM
salmon king makes some very good points about flow. test your pH as flow keeps out dissolved CO2 which in turn lowers pH. Make sure you have enough flow in the tank.

like he said i too would throw out that food just in case.

i am quite sorry to hear about your eel. keep at it!

Salmon King
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
There was a chance of over feeding.My eel sucks back food like Coca Cola.He will keep eating as long as I keep feading.I feed him only till he starts to look like he/s slowing down. ABIT.

atcguy
03-27-2007, 06:05 PM
got problems if one of those dies. I had one about 3 years ago in a Fish only system and twice he got out of my tank. Came home most days to find him curled up on the floor behind the tank Sticky but dried out . the first time I picked him up and he was very slowly moving. Back in the tank and presto . FULL of Life. Amazing. Obviously very hardy. Getting Food???

justinl
03-27-2007, 06:34 PM
hehehe atcguy, that's why a lid is mandatory for keeping eels of any kind. They are escape artists and will find any hole to get through. Some even get into skimmers