PDA

View Full Version : Chiller question for 44g cube + 20g sump

andsoitgoes
03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Okay - so I'm still trying to decide what to do for the tank come summer, I know it's not going to be pretty and I want to do whatever I can to keep the water outside of the 80+ degree range. It's going to be tough and I would like to consider low cost options and low energy options rather than using a portable A/C :(

I stumbled across this on a Nano Reef forum. I guess I might be pushing it with the 44g cube + the 20g (about 10 - 15g of usable water) sump, but maybe someone knows of something similar?

http://www.coolworksinc.com/more_about_ipac1.htm

Thanks in advance.

untamed
03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I have personally run the iceprobe chiller on my 30 gallon hex and found it unable to cause much measureable reduction in tank temperature. Cool technology to be sure...but you would need a few of them to make a difference.

Two 5" fans on the sump made a much larger impact.

andsoitgoes
03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I have personally run the iceprobe chiller on my 30 gallon hex and found it unable to cause much measureable reduction in tank temperature. Cool technology to be sure...but you would need a few of them to make a difference.

Two 5" fans on the sump made a much larger impact.

that's what I figured, at least 3 or 4 to drop it 10 degrees, and then I'm up to the cost of a chiller. The next option was to do the fans and an ATO, hopefully that would be enough - It seems the best way.

christyf5
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
I was under these weren't really a chiller but more of a heat exchanger.

I recently found two of those on ebay that were used by someone with a 55 gallon tank. They were selling 2 that weren't getting the job done in favor of a larger chiller unit.

Reef raf has a smokin deal on a used chiller right now. Worth every penny for peace of mind and a nice cool reef IMO.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29962

Phanman
03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
I personally use (2) 5 inch fans as well bought at a computer store mounted on each end of my canopy forcing cold air in. Works like a charm :)

Tangman
03-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Reef raf has a smoking deal on a used chiller right now. Worth every penny for peace of mind and a nice cool reef IMO.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29962
I was going to mention just that

andsoitgoes
03-27-2007, 01:30 AM
I saw his post, and I was contemplating that - I know it's not too much for what I need, but I guess I'm looking for the budget solution :(

I guess the other concern in regards to an actual chiller is the heat cost for having it in the area - this is in our already toasty bedroom and I'm concerned that the heat the UNIT produces is going to take away from one problem and cause the next :( How much heat do these things produce?

BTW - Tangman, the 2 LTAs are doing smashingly well! How's that carpet?

christyf5
03-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Heck if its in your bedroom, why not invest in a small air conditioner. Probably the best and most "thrifty" way to go, you can usually get them for a couple hundred bucks or less :biggrin: