PDA

View Full Version : any med people? (arthroscope question)

AndyL
03-26-2007, 05:07 AM
Ok, trying to figure out how bad this latest knee problem will be (need to start planning - i'm sure the surgeon will tell me for sure).

How many successive times can they scope a knee these days? I've had a few people say 3 times is the maximum; vaguely remember my last surgeon mentioning that in '05...

Does this mean if I'm now waiting for #4 it's the slice 'er open type I'll be getting this time around? (ACL / MCL are fully torn - if that matters)

(yes I googled... apparently pain killers are preventing me from finding the perfect search words to find the answer).

trilinearmipmap
03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think there is a fixed limit and it really depends on what pathology is found during the scope.

castaway
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I've had 5 done on one knee the last being the worst and they were all done by arthroscope.

DanG
03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
The biggest limiting factor is going to be how much scar tissue is in there and how severe the injury is.

How did you manage to tear both the MCL and ACL? Are the PCL and LCL in good shape still?

Ruth
03-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I think they have to amputate at the neck after 3 :mrgreen: Just kidding - I have no idea but do know that I have had 2 surgury's on one knee - one ortho and one slice it open and one surgury on the other knee with another one in the near future.

michika
03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
As mentioned above it depends on scar tissue, previous conditions to take into account. I personally have never been told there is a limit, only that the decision to scope is based on the overall condition of the knee at the time.

UnderWorldAquatics
04-11-2007, 07:31 AM
(ACL / MCL are fully torn - if that matters)

I think you mean torn badly.... unless you cant walk at all, and your leg flops around from side to side like a fish outa water. My left knee has been reconstructed 3 times, fully torn ACL, badly torn MCL, with huge cartildge removal. There is no orthoscopy with fully torn legiments, as the limb is useless! My right knee is different, badly torn miniscual pads, and unrepairable inner joint wear(need a full knee replacement already, gona hold out till I cant walk, or when Im 45+) The right one they did a scope to remove cartlidge... What type of surgery you will have depends on joint stability(if your ACL/MCL are fully torn then you have no joint stability and will be goin for the full meal deal)and MRI results.
Best of Luck!
Knee surgery sucks the big one!