PDA

View Full Version : Test Kits suck

Josh23
11-28-2002, 12:44 AM
Just wanted to vent some steam on test kits and get some opinions at the same time.
I currently use a Hagen test kit which by the way sucks. :twisted:
I find it hard to determine what the reading is and which way of looking at it is the most accurate. Sometimes I hold it up to the light/sun and other times I dont and depending on which way you hold it the colour completely changes. I dont know which is better. :shock:

The other thing that really makes me mad is the fact that all the bottles are different sizes and usually you need the same number of drops from each bottle to complete the test. So you do 10 tests unless of corse its a Calcium test and then you only get 2 and the smallest bottle is already empty, so its off to the store to buy another whole kit while all you really need is one bottle. You think that the scientists you created these tests would be smart enough to figure out that you need more of some chemicals and less of others.

I also hate the fact that you can only by small 10 to 20 test kits. Why cant I go out and buy a 100 test kit. Save me from going back and forth every couple months.

These are you some of my thoughts not yours IM JOE SPORTS

Thanks all for letting me vent

oh yeah and the opinions part.
What kind of test kits are you using and who has the best price.
Do you find them better then Hagen.
Thanks
Josh

AJ_77
11-28-2002, 12:47 AM
Josh, hurry up and get the Novemeber specials at J&L. The link is on the page here - check 'em out, man!

Alan :D

reefburnaby
11-28-2002, 02:35 AM
Hi,

Keep in mind that Hagen test kits are a real hit and miss...not sure why. I seem to have pretty good luck with it and it is sometimes more accurate then the some Salferts and Red Seas. I get 50 to 100 test samples per Ca test kit and the third bottle is usually the one that goes out first. Mind you, I always buy my Hagen from a store that sells a lot of Hagen test kits...so fresh kits are always in the store.

As for reading test kit colours, the pH test kit is quite painful to read if you follow the instructions exactly. But, the test kit will still work if you use less reagent (i.e. 1 drop instead of 3). By making the colour lighter, it is easier to distinquish.

The other thing with Hagen test kits is that they do require shaking before they are used - quite a lot of shaking.

Again, they are not for everybody. You can go wrong with Saliferts. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

- Victor.

Josh23
11-28-2002, 02:59 AM
Question:
How is it that you get 50 to 100 tests with your Ca kit.
Every time you use it you have to add 15 drops of the thrid bottle before it turns purple. I usually get 5 to 8 at the most.

Josh

Dez
11-28-2002, 03:05 AM
At some stores, like Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton, you can get refills for $2.99.... That way you don't have to buy a new kit..

Just a thought that you could suggest to your lfs.

Des

naesco
11-28-2002, 03:40 AM
If the test kit is off, return it to the LFS for a full credit as it was probably dated when you bought it.

reefburnaby
11-28-2002, 03:41 AM
Hi,

I don't know...I just finished my first Hagen Ca kit a month ago. I have used it for three years now and I test about once every two-three weeks.

Let say one drop of water is 0.03ml and the third bottle has about 15 ml. So, that means there should be 500 drops of water. 0.03ml is based on my Salifert kit - it usually smaller than that, but on average it is approximately 0.03ml. With each test being 15 drops, then you would have about 33 tests.

I guess, I forgot to mention that I use half dosage - i.e. I use half as much test water sample. So, that works to about 66 tests. In some cases, I use 1/5 samples (for example, for my reactor effluent or I am really bored). I use a small graduated pipette to get an accurate 1/5 or 1/2 samples.

I haven't heard too many success stories with the Hagen test kits. So, I would avoid this test kit and pick up a Salifert.

- Victor.

Delphinus
11-28-2002, 04:50 AM
I use Seachem tests for most things that I test (with the possible exception of pH). Two reasons I like them: 1) they come with a reference solution, so you can test your test kit against that. If it's close, great, if not, then you know either you're doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the test kit. 2) You can order test refills for some of them (I just restocked my NO3 test kit for example..)

I don't know if Seachem is any more accurate than others. They do tend to be more expensive. The Ca and Alk test kits were hella bucks. But, I've had them nearly two years and I still have tests left in them. I'm not sure if these ones have refills though I haven't seen any anywhere.

There is another brand that some people seem to like, but I can't remember the name exactly... SeaTest or something like that?

PS. I should mention that different test kits may have different strengths/weaknesses. For example, my NO3 test kit is awesome for low range NO3 levels, and just about useless for NO3 amounts above 15-20 ppm because the colour is just plain "freaking dark red" and although the chart goes up to 50ppm or 80 ppm or something (I can't remember offhand) I can't always tell the difference between "Dark dark red" and "dark dark dark red." Mind you the solutions are dilutable, mind you.

Dale D
11-28-2002, 08:02 AM
Like Des said, for the Hagen test kits you should be able to buy just the bottles you need from the LFS. Usually about $2.99 each.

Josh23
11-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Yeah I noticed that Aquarium Illusions had individual test kits when I was in edmonton a couple years ago. I have yet to see any Calgary LFS stores that carry them.

I like the idea of only using a 1/2 or 1/3 of the water need to perform the test. Never thought of that before.
Good thinking Victor
Josh

TANGOMAN
11-28-2002, 02:15 PM
I hold in my hand the worlds smallest violin...wha, wha, wha...
:roll: (Who am I, the master of mis-information, mr. know-it-all...? :)
Aaah, just given' ya' a hard time :D I share many of your frustrations and I don't want to sound like some kid in the playground, "Oh ya' well my dad can beat up your dad..." but I'm color blind. I hate doing water tests !!! "Honey, what color matches best with this one..."
Optometrists told me long ago I could forget about a career in aviation or electronics...hmmm, maybe thats why NASA never calls me for an interview...?
I know the third bottle of reagent for ammonia tests is double the volume of the first two...what's up with that ??? I often use Salifert kits but most commonly I use the Hagen. I find them consistant and sometimes I can even get test results all by myself. Sometimes. :wink:
I don't do water tests nearly as often (aside from Ca) as "they" say I should. Reckless ? Lazy ? I try not to think so. I found over time a stabilized system was just that...stable. I wish my 90g was stable !!!
What are your thoughts Bob ??? :wink: :wink: ...

Delphinus
11-28-2002, 02:25 PM
... Salifert, that's the one I couldn't remember. Heard that one is good too.

I think for the money that the Hagen kits really aren't bad. Canadian_Man & I compared Ca and Alk values between Hagen and Seachem and the numbers matched evenly. The difference being one is a $10 kit and one is a $60 kit. I think, however, on a number-of-tests-per-kit basis the kits are reasonably even matched as well. So I guess it's a question of "pay a little but go back to the LFS sooner" or "pay more now, and not have to re-order for a while." Suggests to me that for the budget-inclined (or should that be "budget-DEclined") the Hagen's are a good choice.

Of course, if you're colour blind (or just have a hard time deciding "which hue of green is most like this hue of green .... and guessing which two hues your vial fits between .... no, THAT's not subjective at alllll ... :roll: ;) ), this don't help us folk like that very much.. :P

Josh23
11-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Well its good to hear that Im not the only one who hates test kits but I guess we are stuck with them.
Thanks for everyones input.

Oh and by the way my Dad could beat up your Dad (laughs)

Josh

chicki
12-03-2002, 01:48 PM
I hate hate hate hagen test kits. I bought a seachem calcium test box about a year ago now and am still using the same one. I test at least twice a week, usually alot more then that. It's definitely the best one...IMO

Josh23
12-03-2002, 10:28 PM
WOW

You test twice a week some times more.
That is a lot of testing.
I test once every couple weeks and I think some find that more then enough.

Doug
12-03-2002, 10:46 PM
I only like Salifert for both alk & calcium. Although I found the FasTest alk kit to be as good and much cheaper, but hard to find.