CLINT
03-25-2007, 06:29 PM
That REALLY REALLY SUCKS.:cry: :cry: :cry: Clint

Joe Reefer
03-25-2007, 06:39 PM
OMG, thats not cool.

justinl
03-25-2007, 06:54 PM
no way! that famous tank was such an inspiration for me. sad sad day. well at least he's taking a fairly positive outlook on the whole thing.

Black Phantom
03-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Man, I've been following OregonReef for a long time. That is very tragic. What an incredible system it was. Lets hope he can get it all back someday.

digital-audiophile
03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I've always liked his tank. That sucks to lose as much as he did. Too bad he hasn't posted any pictures :( I guess when you look at what you have just lost you are not in too much of a hurry to photograph it.

justinl
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
I can't blame him for not posting pics of the skeletons. That tank was a large part of his time, money, and, im sure his, heart. I know Id be too crushed by the loss to even think about taking pics.

Matt
03-25-2007, 10:14 PM
I was tempted to add my condolences to the list, but he's got the support he needs. I remember how crushed I was when my ineptitude broke my tank, and killed a bunch of corals, and cost a bunch of money. I can't imagine how he must have felt.

It will be interesting to see what emerges from the ashes. I, for one, don't want to see those acro skeletons.

Beverly
03-26-2007, 12:07 AM
What staggering loss! I loved his tank. I sure feel for the guy :(

Delphinus
03-26-2007, 05:35 AM
Wow, terrible.. Poor guy.

untamed
03-26-2007, 05:36 AM
...you know..I read that story on RC and didn't even clue into who's tank it was. His tank is clearly the inspiration for my own effort.

Lessons I just learned #1: This hobby is very much about established routines. Anytime you undertake to do something different, there's risk. Lessons I just learned #2: Watch for effects if you've had to do something different.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Dang. That was the most beautiful tank I've ever seen too. Hard to believe all those beautiful corals & such are gone due to a water change.:cry:

Anthony

Der_Iron_Chef
03-26-2007, 12:28 PM
My GOD! Humbling...if someone like him can (and does...and will?) experience such a disaster.

Doug
03-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Indeed a huge loss. It was a beautiful & expensive system. I have to read the website again, as its been awile but would a waste collector not have averted a problem like this?

KrazyKuch
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
OMG, That sucks big time....He has a good attitude about it though and I'm sure when he is done rebuilding it will be better then it was before!

Delphinus
03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Indeed a huge loss. It was a beautiful & expensive system. I have to read the website again, as its been awile but would a waste collector not have averted a problem like this?

He mentioned somewhere in the RC thread about the downturn, that he considers it a non-viable option because the Deltec self-cleaning heads or whatever it is he's using, produce too much waste. Personally though I have to agree, could not a larger collection cup have been fabricated that would not have to be emptied twice per day?

Or at least, have a fail safe if absolutely must drain the skimmate collection straight to sewer. He had other fail safes, ie. he mentioned the halides had been shutdown due to a high temp alarm, so maybe something like, have the skimmer feed pumps shutdown due to a low level alarm in the sump.

Doug
03-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Yea, I was just reading his thread on TRT, Tony. Its the huge amount of waste and the auto wash, that kept him from using a waste collector. I assume it passes a fair bit of water through when washing. Plus he mentioned he travels a lot, so is not there to dump one on a steady basis.

Guess one just has to watch a skimmer like that is always set correct?