PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed for a tank change and hardware please.

Ticketyboo
03-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi guys.... some advise please....

I have lots and lots and lots of questions as im pretty much a newbie to this.....

I have my 50 Gallon Bowfront with about 75 Lbs of live rock, 2 bags of live sand or so in there along with my 2 eels, 2 lionfish, cucumber, urchin, conch and starfish. Now i have just bought a 180 gallon acrylic tank, so im looking to transfer everything over to the larger tank. Now am i able to just add the extra 130 gallons of RO salt water into the larger tank, maybe add 30 Lbs more live rock to the tank and do an instant transfer of everything into the 180 from the 50? Or must i cycle the whole 180 tank before i transfer my stock over? wouldnt it be the same as basically a water change..... one heck of a big one i know, but would this be ok?

Also the 180 tank is used and comes with a sump which has 2 overflows running at 1/4 open etc, however the sump doesnt look that big, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how big a sump i should be using with a tank this size? Now im reading mixed reports about using bioballs in the sump, so whats your thoughts on this? should i be using bioballs in the sump? I'm pretty new to this so the more advise you have to offer the merrier.

There is no Skimmer present, so i was going to put one of my Remora Aqua C Pro skimmers in the sump to use. Would this work do you think? there is piping and compartment for an inline skimmer in the sump, but the previous owner used the system for freshwater, now im bringing it back to salt water.

The tank also has some small scratches on it, but not that noticeable and you cannot feel it with your finger nail, so what would be the best way to minimise the scratches, or remove it?

Im also looking add some corals into the tank that will work with my stock and PC lighting, will Zoos work in this tank do you think? as im abit of a zoo-a-holic right now... love them!!!! i just want to brighten the tank up abit rather than just have rock and sand.

Can i keep the unit upstairs? as its acrylic, its alot lighter than glass, but with the weight of the water, is it safe to have upstairs? i dont really have the option of the basement.

One more thing.... i was advised that you can just put standard aquarium sand in there and mix it with your live sand and in time this would become live sand, as it would be cheaper and i would like a deep sand bed in there, but is this true? would it work? as it really would save alot of money in there... Oh and would you reccomend the use of an external canister filter? or is the sump and live rock enough?

Thoughts anyone?

Regards..... David

Ruth
03-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I think I can answer a couple of your questions but I think more important you have to ask yourself a couple of questions.:biggrin: What kind of tank are you wanting to have? (I know I know "I want it all"!)
The livestock you currently have is not very conducive to a reef tank as they are big and messy eaters so chances are you are going to constantly battle nitrates. Corals, anemones etc. do not like high nitrates and for the most part do not do well. While zoos, zenia or anthelia, mushrooms will do OK IMO it is usually the duller coloured ones that seem to thrive and not those nice bright little buttons.
Bioballs would be fine if you want a FOWLR system and in fact are quite good to have in these systems however they do tend to collect crude and therefore contribute further to your nitrates. Again you have to ask yourself what kind of a system you want to have.
As for the transfer, if your existing tank is well established you should be fine just transferring the live rock and livestock directly over - try to get as much of the water from your existing system to transfer as well. What I would do with the sand is to rinse it really really well with RODI water and then slowly transfer that as well making sure to constantly check the new tank after each small addition to make sure it is not causing a cycle.
HTH

Ticketyboo
03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your input Ruth, its much appreciated.

Whats wrong with adding the sand all at once and why wash the sand if its to be used with the same livestock?

Ruth
03-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Over time your sand bed will trap a lot of crap. It is OK as long as it is not disturbed (to a point) but as soon as you disturb it, it will release all the nasties. If you want to see how bad it is once you have moved all your livestock and live rock etc. and just have an inch or 2 of water and sand in the bottom of your old tank give it a stir and take a whif - then let it sit for a couple of days and test that water (the stuff in your old tank). If you get ammonia and nitrite readings that is your answer.
I know when I move or sell my 230g tank that has a 4" sand bed that sand is going in the garbage unless the purchaser wants it.
FWIW that is the only large tank I have sand in and would not do it again. BB all the way for me.:mrgreen:

Renegade
03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
You also might want to address your equipment. when you figure out what kind of tank you want FOWLR or REEF a skimmer upgrade is probably high on the priority list as well as lights and water movement.

I'm In surrey your welcome to come over and see my tank if you'd like i just finished setting up a 120g. an upgrade from a 44g corner unit i have and am now going to be using as a FOWLR tank for an Eel and Lion.

i'm located around 76 and 152 pm me if interested

Kyle

andsoitgoes
03-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Over time your sand bed will trap a lot of crap. It is OK as long as it is not disturbed (to a point) but as soon as you disturb it, it will release all the nasties. If you want to see how bad it is once you have moved all your livestock and live rock etc. and just have an inch or 2 of water and sand in the bottom of your old tank give it a stir and take a whif - then let it sit for a couple of days and test that water (the stuff in your old tank). If you get ammonia and nitrite readings that is your answer.
I know when I move or sell my 230g tank that has a 4" sand bed that sand is going in the garbage unless the purchaser wants it.
FWIW that is the only large tank I have sand in and would not do it again. BB all the way for me.:mrgreen:

eugh. I hear you there. I just switched my NANO tank which has been very stable for the last 5 - 6 months. I pretty much went BB (with just a little bit of sand to cover over the glass in the new tank) and I'm glad I did. The amount of CRAP that is still in the bucket with the sand is just NASTY. It's been sitting there for a few days (wanted to check and make sure there were no hiding snails or such) and the water is still dank and nasty, and there is still a ton of CRAP in there, disgusting. YUCK!