PDA

View Full Version : Impulse decision? Maybe. Thoughts?

andsoitgoes
03-25-2007, 04:00 AM
Okay - so I've upgraded from a 5.5g to a 7g bow - I hav an AC500 on for a fuge and a PH301 for extra water movement. I recently lost my A. Hectori goby who was one of my little tank stars, loved that guy - and I DID assume my pompom crab was lost - but no, he's still there - saw a quick flash of him today :)

Annnnyway - Fast forward to today, I was heming and hawing in regards to another fish - the last fish, to have in this tank, as my Blenny and Hectori have been in there since almost day 1.

I went to OA today to see what they had, and there was the most STUNNING ORA Neon Dottyback. The two had been there for months, in communcal tanks - so far, no problems. As he was the last fish, I didn't figure there'd be issues with my blenny, and so far so good - they're doing smashing. One thing I didn't think of/take into consideration was my sexy shrimp - I've got 2 that have been in this tank since the start.

He hasn't even so much as looked at them, nor shown any aggression towards anything else in the tank, he's claimed a part all to his own, and it all seems good - any signs I should keep an eye out for, suggestions?

Thanks!

Ruth
03-25-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't know about the shrimp but I do know that even though the neon is one of the more passive dottybacks inch for inch these fish are probably the most beligerant fish there are.
I have a royal dottyback in my 230g and he does not hesitate to take on any fish in the tank including a large Hippo Tang, yellow tang, Maroon Clown etc. etc. I also cannot keep any small fish in this tank as if he does not manage to kill them outright he has figured out how to chase them directly into my carpet anemone - I have watched him do this to 3 gobies. The only small fish he leaves alone are the 2 mandarins in there.

andsoitgoes
03-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Ruth - So far he's been incredibly passive with my Blenny, and for similarity in their shape, I was a little surprised. I know he'll find a great home in my sump if he becomes a bit of a brat, but I haven't seen that yet - Did yours "go postal" straight away, or did he grow into it?

andsoitgoes
03-26-2007, 04:01 AM
well, there we go. Went after my Emerald crab, that's all it takes. Off to my sump, and on to either OA or to the BuySell forums :)

Great little guy, and if I was doing a fish only, he'd be THE fish for the tank, super cool.

Now, to try and catch him. *cry*