PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer only on part time?

spikehs
03-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Does anyone run their skimmer part time? I know it'd be optimal to run it 24/7, while my skimmer isn't very noisey, my tank is 100% silent if its not on. So I was thinking of running it only 1/2 to 3/4 of the day... Does anyone have any options on this? Thanks! btw its a Euro Reef RS80 on a 50gal tank.

justinl
03-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Is it the only mechanical filtration in your tank? no canister or HOB filters? If it's the only thing keeping water clean (excluding bio filtration) I would leave it on. No proof that you need it on all the time, just seems like the right thing to do. Plus it'd be a hassle to unplug and plug it in all the time. If you have a canister or something then I would say yeah sure, why not.

spikehs
03-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Is it the only mechanical filtration in your tank? no canister or HOB filters? If it's the only thing keeping water clean (excluding bio filtration) I would leave it on. No proof that you need it on all the time, just seems like the right thing to do. Plus it'd be a hassle to unplug and plug it in all the time. If you have a canister or something then I would say yeah sure, why not.

Got a canister as my return pump, so the water gets scrubbed before it goes back into the tank. I also have some chaeto in the sump... I have the RK2 so it wouldn't be an issue to program it to turn on/off whenever i wanted it... Although i have played around with it a bit and its a little quieter now... perhaps i'lljust have to experiment with it.

Kryten
03-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I have a tank in my office so when I'm there I turn the skimmer off because of the noise. I'm sure it's best to have it on all the time, but some is better than none, right?