PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find reflective metal

marcingo
03-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows where in edmonton I can find very reflective sheet metal.

Black Phantom
03-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Not to take away anything from a good reflector but the light refraction from a regular piece of metal sprayed with a coat of high gloss white paint is almost identical. Will save you a lot of money and looks good.

Beverly
03-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Our Hamilton light fixture only had metal reflective material just around the two MH bulbs. The rest of the inside was painted white. I was sure we could get more light in the tank, so we taped in some aluminium foil everywhere, shiny side out. What a big difference! I can only imagine what real reflective metal would do. If you find some, please post details so we can get some too.

marcingo
03-25-2007, 03:50 AM
I will definitely- I have been doing some thinking, have any of you tried this or think it might work- wouldnt a mirror be the best reflector? I know I have seen a thick sticker in stores before that is pretty much a mirror on one side. What if I put that on regular metal that should work really well. Any comments?

Scavenger
03-25-2007, 04:04 AM
Well, I myself bought some furnace flashing for about 2-4 bucks. (can't remember) at a hardware store and buffed it up with some car rubbing compound and magically had polished aluminum. Works great.

marcingo
03-25-2007, 04:11 AM
car rubbing compound- can I just pick that up at Canadian Tire or something like that? Also once you buffed it up was it permanently polished(other than salt creep getting on it)?

Sounds like a good and simple idea

Thanks

Beverly
03-25-2007, 01:19 PM
marcingo,

I think mirror would be too heavy, though it certainly would be reflective. I would also be concerned about moisture and/or heat causing the reflective surface to prematurely peel away from the glass.

Scavenger,

Furnace flashing and car rubbing compound. Sounds like a project for my dear husband :)

Bartman
03-26-2007, 07:11 AM
I used something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MIRROR-FILM-ON-A-ROLL-24-x-1metre-VERY-REFLECTIVE_W0QQitemZ130093981803QQcategoryZ20755QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem