PDA

View Full Version : New MACO course being offered!

MitchM
11-27-2002, 03:32 PM
Hey guys - There's a new MACO (Marine Aquarist Courses Online) course being offered!
I highly recommend it! :D

Here's a link to it: http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21972

Mitch

christyf5
11-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Have you taken any of the courses?? I'm thinking about taking the coral biology one in January.

Christy :)

MitchM
11-27-2002, 06:51 PM
I took the one last year, (Invertebrate Zoology) and even though the reading and lecture list was too much for me to keep up with, I still was able to download the info and finish it at my own pace!
It opened up a whole new world for me with my reef tanks - the world that you can't always see with the naked eye! :D

I've already signed on for the 1st one. Starts in January.

Mitch 8)

christyf5
11-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Ah, so we'll know who to send the pictures to when we can't id a critter eh? :p

MitchM
11-27-2002, 07:24 PM
It's been done before.... :P

Mitch :wink:

Aquattro
11-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Christy, I'm thinking of the January course with Eric also.

christyf5
11-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Cool Brad,
I wonder where we're supposed to find the books? I found one on chapters.ca for like $54 (and am guessing the second is probly the same price). I guess I shouldn't balk at that after 5 years of $90 textbooks but still. Yeow!

Delphinus
11-27-2002, 08:46 PM
What's your take on the time commitment. It's all very interesting and tempting but I'm just not sure I can keep up with a lecture series course these days, I'm on the road too often and sometimes just have a hard enough time keeping afloat with just day-to-day survival!!! My university days are long gone ... :eek:

Aquattro
11-27-2002, 09:27 PM
Christy, there was only one required text. Eric's book is "recommended" reading. I own it anyway.

Tony, I'm not sure about the time yet, but I should be able to manage. We have an "educational hour" at home each night, where the kids do their extra reading and my wife does her work (UVic student). I generally read some science related text, so I can listen to Eric instead during that time! :P

Delphinus
11-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Well at any rate it should be fun .... I'm not just sure I'd be able to keep up. Dang work always gets in the way!! :P

christyf5
11-27-2002, 09:43 PM
Brad,
From what I can see here:

maco course (http://www.reefs.org/maco/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostWrap&file=index&page=www.reefs.org/maco/borneman/public.html)

there are two required texts. One is Ecology of the Indonesian Seas: Chapters 1-12 and the other Ecology of the Indonesian Seas: Chapters 13-23. Am I seeing things? I managed to find them both on amazon.ca

I also have Erics book. It rocks.

Aquattro
11-27-2002, 09:49 PM
Sorry, Christy, I didn't notice that chapters 1 - 23 were different books!

christyf5
11-27-2002, 10:13 PM
Well I'm glad it wasn't just me :D I surfed around that MACO site for close to 20 mins before I finally found the page that would take my money ;)

Aquattro
11-27-2002, 10:15 PM
Really? I can put a page up in 10 minutes that will take your money!!! :D

kgb
11-27-2002, 11:39 PM
hey guys ok this coarse it says yoiu have 2 labs to hand in and all that lovelynis but what do you get out of it (not all the info) credits or what ?we get an award and certificate or .....

christyf5
11-28-2002, 12:15 AM
I do believe you get the warm fuzzies of a job well done ;)

Good question tho.

Aquattro
11-28-2002, 12:22 AM
warm fuzzies is good enuf fer me!! :D

MitchM
11-28-2002, 12:26 AM
It's a non-credit course.

For your own enjoyment and education in this hobby.

Anyone can enroll.

Mitch :D

zulu_principle
11-28-2002, 02:17 AM
I'm in, did anyone find a cheaper price on the book.

Found the first one, The Ecology of the Indonesian Seas : Chapters 1-12 (The Ecology of Indonesia Series , Vol 7, Part 1), for $55 CDN from chapters.ca, but they don't have the second one.

Zulu

Aquattro
11-28-2002, 02:51 AM
zp, I imagine they can order it in quickly.

MitchM
11-28-2002, 02:59 AM
I ordered the first volume from Chapters and the second volume from Amazon.
We'll see which gets here first. :wink:

Mitch

christyf5
11-28-2002, 04:14 AM
Hey guys,
I just got my visa bill (oh yay) but there is a coupon in there for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more for first time customers at amazon.ca ( I realize I'm a little late here, Mitch, sorry). Anyway when you're checking out type in CANADAREWARD to get the deal.

Hope this works!

MitchM
11-28-2002, 09:44 AM
......... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

lol...... :roll:

Mitch :wink:

Delphinus
11-28-2002, 02:31 PM
So about $110 for the books and about $120 for the course ... hmmm. Maybe they'll offer it again in 2004 and I can have about 12 months to save up for it. :(

Dang, I didn't really need that new transmission all that much .... :cry:

ldzielak
11-28-2002, 06:26 PM
Tony,

Maybe we should take the Reactor course :wink: http://www.reefs.org/maco/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostWrap&file=index&page=www.reefs.org/maco/fergy/public.html

Lee

christyf5
12-18-2002, 04:14 PM
Has anyone gotten their books yet?? Amazon just informed me that there is a problem getting it and I won't be receiving them until at least the middle of January and possibly the beginning of February!! :evil: :evil: I checked at Chapters.ca and they are out of stock too. Man what a rip!

Brad if you've got yours already I may be borrowing it to photocopy a couple of chapters until I get mine :P

MitchM
12-18-2002, 05:01 PM
I just received confirmation from Chapters that they shipped 1 book this morning. That's 2 days after I cancelled my order from them and re-ordered from Inland Reef down in the States. :roll:
Inland's website is on the MACO site, Christy.
I've also cancelled my Amazon order.

Mitch

MitchM
12-21-2002, 05:05 AM
Got home from the ballet tonight....(seriously :D )

There in my mailbox was the book from Chapters.... :roll:

I'll be sending it back, I guess. (after my order arrives from Inland Reef)

Mitch :?

EmilyB
12-21-2002, 06:48 AM
Yes.....definitely wait for that arrival Mitch..............

BALLET :shock:

MitchM
12-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Unless you want to buy it Deb.....

heh, heh.

Mitch

Troy F
12-21-2002, 04:49 PM
If you guys have trouble getting the texts you can try Barnes and Noble. I bought Invertabrate Zoology used and it was here within ten days.

I'll warn all of you that this isn't grade 11 biology level material you'll be seeing in these courses. The vocabulary is second and third year university level. I've talked to a few of the people that actually finished Eric's last MACO course and even they were a little disappointed that it was as difficult as it was. Ron's course was over my head for the most part and although I learned some really fascinating information I could have spent the two hundred beans somewhere else.

MitchM
12-21-2002, 11:08 PM
No, it's not 11 grade biology, but if someone is looking for up to date reference material, this should be an excellent source for it. As for money better spent elsewhere, I am of the opinion that if you spend money now on educating yourself on your reef, it will help you look after your animals better so that you are not constantly buying new ones!...... :wink:

Mitch

StirCrazy
12-21-2002, 11:35 PM
I am of the opinion that if you spend money now on educating yourself on your reef, it will help you look after your animals better so that you are not constantly buying new ones!...... :wink:

Mitch

I agree with this statement .,... the problem I have is I think this course is way overboard in the amount of information a hobbiest needs to take good care of his critters.. and I agree with Troy that the average person would be better off spending this money on a proper DSB or MH lighting, or a good skimmer, which would probably do them more good than the course.

Steve

MitchM
12-22-2002, 12:17 AM
.. and I agree with Troy that the average person would be better off spending this money on a proper DSB or MH lighting, or a good skimmer, which would probably do them more good than the course.

Steve

But that's my point. Unless you educate yourself as much as you can, how do you know what MAKES a good DSB, or skimmer, or how the light spectrum affects corals?

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, it's our own choice.

Troy F
12-22-2002, 02:03 AM
Mitch, I'm only giving people a heads up that the courses are extremely difficult. I spent more time in my dictionary than I did on my studies. I think that the information could be presented much better so that the average person could get more out of it. Everyone I talked to about Eric and Ron's course felt the same way I did.

But that's my point. Unless you educate yourself as much as you can, how do you know what MAKES a good DSB, or skimmer, or how the light spectrum affects corals?

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, it's our own choice.

There's some pretty simple and straight forward information out there to build a better DSB, some of it written by Ron, some by Rob Toonen. You don't need the course for that. I think the course I took had some really interesting material but in relation to our glass boxes...not so much. That's my opinion. I'll bet Borneman's course is fascinating but other than creating a bunch of know it alls on the BBs, I don't think it'll really help you guys keep your critters better. Most of you are already pretty advanced as it is. It doesn't really matter, it's your choice I just don't understand why you're so touchy about a bit of information or an opinion that differs from your own.

christyf5
12-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Hey Troy,

Some people just have to learn these things on their own. I for one totally believe that in a matter of time I will be swamped with latin names and such and probly be wondering why I sunk $250 in to this course instead of a better . Eric teaches university courses and no doubt I fully believe that this course will be taught at that level. Will it make me an expert on raising corals? Nah, somehow I doubt it, but it will be cool to know whats going on in there and at last I will hopefully be able to name a coral without reaching for my happy picture book of corals :P I guess its just the biologist in me. I really try to keep awake when someone is telling me about the importance of spectrum in lighting or how a 10000K bulb is better than the 6500K or how really easy it would be to build my own protein skimmer (shall I continue? :P ) but I would rather hear about the biology part of keeping a tank. I guess its because I have a better background in it and I've always been interested in it (and quite frankly I think I failed the electricity part of physics 11 :roll: ).

As for being a know it all, geez, I can't compete with you guys in the technological/electrical departments now but maybe you'll be impressed if I'm spouting off latin names of everything and telling you about the biological processes involved in waste excretion of [i]Euphyllia divisia :roll: :wink:

Troy F
12-22-2002, 07:41 PM
Hey Christy, I'm sure you'll love the course. As I said, the only point to my first post was the courses are difficult and people should be aware. Borneman and Shimek are extremely knowledgable guys and have a lot to share, I just wish (for me) they provided the course in a Sesame Street version. I would take a course again and probably will if Scott Michael teaches one.

BTW, it's Euphyllia divisa ;) .

christyf5
12-22-2002, 08:08 PM
See? Thats why I need to take the course!! :shock: :roll: :lol:

christyf5
12-24-2002, 03:00 AM
Mitch,
Did you send that book back yet?? Mine are apparently backordered and are supposed to be sent somewhere between January 16 and February 5. I'm starting to get nervous about whether I'll actually get them by then or not.

MitchM
12-24-2002, 12:48 PM
You have PM, Christy. :)

Mitch