PDA

View Full Version : I wish I wish!

Raf
03-24-2007, 04:16 AM
I wish I wish people would put their LOCATION in their thread titles in the buy & sell forums, it would save a step and hence save a lot of time for users that are not from the location the user is posting from....my main pet peeve on this forum, you guys decide....

easy fix, but needs admin support and mod discipline to work.

works on my forum now for over a year

http://www.malawimayhem.com

peace :)

Tom R
03-24-2007, 04:44 AM
I am with you. This is my pet peeve as well. I believe that location should be mandatory.

Tom R

Chaloupa
03-24-2007, 04:45 AM
I second that wish please?!

justinl
03-24-2007, 04:45 AM
true true! Especially if the cursed computer is slowwww...

niloc16
03-24-2007, 05:26 AM
i totally agree. no only for buy/sell forum but even for when people ask advice or questions it makes it easier to guide them in a direction for assistance

andsoitgoes
03-24-2007, 06:53 AM
I SIXTH (or 7th? No, 6th... I think)

Please, please please!

AND - if you're willing to ship, maybe something in the title about that? Okay, I'm pushing it, I know... but location at least. Makes me cry everytime I see something good in Calgary (which it almost ALWAYS is, they get all the good stuff :()

Der_Iron_Chef
03-24-2007, 07:17 AM
I also agree.

Moogled
03-24-2007, 08:19 AM
I, too, agree.

Some people just aren't that smart.

Raf
03-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Come on mods and admins, lets hear your say!

justinl
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I can see the mods reading this and saying "oh come on... wth, you want us to do work? meh... ill let the other mod deal with it."

lol i jk. I do appreciate the hard work you guys do, but really, this little thing would be really nice.:biggrin:

G1GY
03-24-2007, 09:36 PM
If everyone ignores for sale posts that don't have a location as if they don't even exist........... The problem should fix itself.

It would be a never ending chore to moderate this.

The admin tried to fix this at one point in time by making a user have a history here on the board (Certain number of posts.) before posting a new thread in the buy/sell forums and others were critical of this, so they changed it back. Many times it's brand new members who only post threads in the buy/sell and have never posted anywhere else that make these threads.

Ignore these threads and the problem should fix itself over time.

Just my opinion though. :)

Doug
03-24-2007, 10:48 PM
The admin tried to fix this at one point in time by making a user have a history here on the board (Certain number of posts.) before posting a new thread in the buy/sell forums and others were critical of this, so they changed it back. Many times it's brand new members who only post threads in the buy/sell and have never posted anywhere else that make these threads.

Thank-you.

Yes we have discussed this many times, also relating to spam. I would think it can be made mandatory to list a location, but not sure. Perhaps Titus can have a look at this.

Raf
03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
If everyone ignores for sale posts that don't have a location as if they don't even exist........... The problem should fix itself.

It would be a never ending chore to moderate this.

I don't think people will ignore these posts because naturally, curiosity gets the better of them(with the hope the sellers location is close by)....

As for a never ending chore, hardly IME. I implemented this on my site and as soon as the regulars read the sticky, they remembered to post their location. As for newcomers that did not read the mandatory sticky in the trading forum and fail to post their location, their post would get removed....simple as that. If a user came back to find their post gone, they would get the messege fast.

The buy and sell forums have mods that I can imagine would be well capable of seing this through...as they do on my site....

But as I said before, this needs admin approval and mod discipline to work....

As for altering the forum software to make the location mandatory when posting in the buy and sell forums, this would be the best solution IMO. Even better, making the location a mandatory field upon registering.

Moogled
03-24-2007, 11:46 PM
I dunno Raf, I agree that people should put locations in their posts, but I find that this problem isn't so much an administrative situation than it is a problem with common sense.

People should know better than to post "hi i have a tank 4 sale okie? thx" and not have any follow through information, which inevitably leads to frustration because people are interested in the product but have a lack of information about it.

I believe the moderators on Canreef are doing as much as they can to remedy certain problems that my arise, but some solutions lie within the members. However, since Canreef is supposedly a site for "mature" adults, there can't be any berating if someone forgets something as obvious as a location so I also agree with you.

Skimmerking
03-25-2007, 01:56 AM
If we had a way that you have to put your location in that is the only was that you can register or have it as a add on to ussho doesn't have it there now...

Johnny Reefer
03-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Maybe if the Buy/Sell forums were done away with altogether and if you want sell something you post it in the respective "Reefing Club" forum for your location. (Or nearest location, for those in the boonies).

I don't know. Just a thought. It doesn't really bother me the way it is now.

justinl
03-25-2007, 08:19 AM
I like having a separate buy/sell section. If they went into the location specific section I think it would just get too bulky in there and no one would actually notice the local event stuff as it would constantly be buried under the ads.

plus I like having it open to others even if they aren't local in case the seller can ship. plus others can chime their opinions in too without having to switch to several different sections. jmo

woodcarver
03-25-2007, 06:39 PM
I agree with 'justini'. The buy and sell should be kept as a separate forum.The simple solution as mentioned earlier is to make location a requirement on registering.
................Dave

Skimmerking
03-25-2007, 08:05 PM
i like it the old way where everything was in that forum less confusion. IMO

Raf
03-25-2007, 08:56 PM
admins? mods?

Doug
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
admins? mods?

We need Titus to make any changes like that and I would imagine he is away for the weekend. Patience please. :smile:

Raf
03-26-2007, 12:08 AM
no problem :)

Delphinus
03-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Well .. I'll chime in with my two cents worth..

I don't really agree with making the location field mandatory. Location is just one of those fields listed "for fun." It's nicer when it's filled in of course but making it "mandatory" just means people will fill in cute stuff like "In front of my computer" or "Out in left field" or whatever. As has been pointed out, I'd much rather "do nothing" than have to verify locations are real locations. :p

But ...

As per the guidelines, location is a requested piece of information for posts in the buy/sell forums. Although I think for the most part, most active users have a pretty good idea where other active users are anyhow, so I think it's more of an issue for new users signing up that nobody knows where they're located, so in the event it does come up, feel free to request location, or report the post to a mod, and then WE'll request the location.

Then I can go back to "doing nothing". :p

christyf5
03-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I can see the mods reading this and saying "oh come on... wth, you want us to do work? meh... ill let the other mod deal with it."

lol i jk. I do appreciate the hard work you guys do, but really, this little thing would be really nice.:biggrin:

I can't believe you posted this. I'll bite my tongue for the rest of what I'd like to say. :confused:

Doug
03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I can't believe you posted this. I'll bite my tongue for the rest of what I'd like to say. :confused:

Did you guys not know you're not allowed to be away on the weekend? You have to stay put and monitor the board like me. :lol:

christyf5
03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Did you guys not know you're not allowed to be away on the weekend? You have to stay put and monitor the board like me. :lol:

Haha, what was I thinking? Well the shackle is back on and I'm firmly attached to the computer once again. Doing nothing of course :razz:

justinl
03-26-2007, 08:09 PM

whoa now, I was just playing around. Like I said, i really do appreciate all you guys do for us and I know it's a lot of work. I apologize if I offended you in any way. That was not at all my intent,

Raf
03-27-2007, 02:15 AM
i still have yet to hear from an admin about this, either way, it's up to you guys, i just find it a PITA, and I think it's a relatively easy fix, but if you gys are fine with it the way it is, so be it. ;)

christyf5
03-27-2007, 02:19 AM
As Doug mentioned above: Titus is the only admin. I will PM him for you :biggrin:

titus
03-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Hello,

Sorry for the delay. And thank you Christy for cracking the whip on me.
Okay so as other members have pointed out, we have this discussion in the past. And the general consensus is the same thing "we request members to post their location". At that point and up until now, I still do not see a need to alter any forum software to make this a mandatory field.

Maybe on other sites under their circumstances it works out to be better. But so far we think what we have here has been working out great. If need me, people can always PM the seller for more information.

Titus