PDA

View Full Version : New Background

Black Phantom
03-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Well my last post was about making a foam aquascape. Not wanting to use spray foam I thought I would carve something out of pink rigid. After I was completely covered in pink dust and had something that would scare my fish to death, I decided to rethink my dreams of being a sculptor:redface:
I ended up taking a sheet of marine plywood from Lee valley and fiberglassing both sides. Then I siliconed a bunch of live rock rubble I had kicking around to the board.
Looks kind of cool and just a bit different :squarewi:
I hope the fish like it

kwirky
03-23-2007, 10:36 PM
not too shabby. looks good. Would be really cool to see the sides done that way too, if it was just a little wider.

woodcarver
03-24-2007, 12:11 AM
That looks terrific! Are the colours just from live rock pieces,what about that nice green ?
..........................Dave

Black Phantom
03-24-2007, 01:41 AM
The green one was an old coral skeleton that I picked up from an LFS.
He had around 20 lbs of rubble and such that I wanted for my sump. I think I paid around a buck a pound. I was using it in my bubble trap but it looks better here.

woodcarver
03-24-2007, 06:41 AM
One of the nicest backgrounds I have seen . I dont like tanks you can see right through. I wonder if you could make pockets for power heads etc .to hide even more of the plumbing ?
..........Dave

Black Phantom
03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
I think you could do that quite easily. Just drill some holes through the board and then move the background forward in the tank. Just enough so you could hide heaters, pumps and what ever else.