03-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Cool. Where did you get him?

rudy
03-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Golds

christyf5
03-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow that is just awesome :cool:

What kind of octopus is he? How long does he live?

GrimReefer
03-21-2007, 08:25 PM
i've never seen one like that before. what species?

rudy
03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Otto is an O. Aucealatus (sp)

mid sized octopos from Indonesia. He is supposed to live a year or so at most. I am pretty sure I got him at a smaller size so we will see. I actually thought he was going to die quite soon do to docile behavior for the last couple weeks but last night and today he looks to have proven me wrong.

I have had him for at least a couple months.

rudy
03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjDxa3bfYhA

Here is another vid

MikeP
03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjDxa3bfYhA

Here is another vid

That's so cool! I want one :mrgreen:

Delphinus
03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
That is mondo cool! :cool:

surgeonfish
03-24-2007, 03:27 AM
Do you have a tight canopy on your tank? I here they are great escape artists.

justinl
03-24-2007, 03:46 AM
sweet vids of a sweeeeet octo. Certainly doesn't look like a goner.

btw the one year lifespan is only for the duration in a home aquarium. Most octos live well over that in the wild. They only really give up the ghost prematurely if they lay eggs. After that, it usually isn't long before death.

rudy
03-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Do you have a tight canopy on your tank? I here they are great escape artists.
Otto lives with a half assed cover but there are many escape routes. He has never even tried to escape.

He is completely comfortable living where he does.

bulletsworld
03-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Otto is an O. Aucealatus (sp)

mid sized octopos from Indonesia.... .

This is a very neat video. I always wondered if anyone in Alberta got their hands on one of these creatures. Although they are very fascinating, for some reason I strongly disagree having one in a home aquarium. They are very intelligent and even get depressed. It's really sad.

Also, just to note, I think it’s really not cool to keep saying, this is my dying Octopus in your videos. It's like saying its o.k. Best to keep that part to your self.

Another thing, if you want to keep this creature, you might want to start by learning how to spell "Octopus" instead of "Octopos". *poke* :mrgreen:

Again, this is only my opinion. Thanks for sharing videos. Take good care of your Otto. He truly is an amazing creature. :mrgreen:

rudy
03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
This is a very neat video. I always wondered if anyone in Alberta got their hands on one of these creatures. Although they are very fascinating, for some reason I strongly disagree having one in a home aquarium. They are very intelligent and even get depressed. It's really sad.

Also, just to note, I think it’s really not cool to keep saying, this is my dying Octopus in your videos. It's like saying its o.k. Best to keep that part to your self.

Another thing, if you want to keep this creature, you might want to start by learning how to spell "Octopus" instead of "Octopos". *poke* :mrgreen:

Again, this is only my opinion. Thanks for sharing videos. Take good care of your Otto. He truly is an amazing creature. :mrgreen:

Thanks....I think.

People probably strongly disagree with most animals I keep, or have kept in an aquarium. I do however I keep these animals very well cared for and frankly don't care how other view it. I am not saying go out and get an octopus to everyone nor justifying my position on having one. I just know that mine is happier at my house, then the ones in the dim sum tray I had the other day.

The reason for saying dying octopus was the fact that at many thought he was at the end of his life due to his actions in the last few weeks. I was preparing to say good bye to otto. All of a sudden I got up in the morning he was giving his morning show again. I am sorry I did not elaborate on you tube as to why I was saying that.

As far as your last comment, I am sorry that me having an octopus offends you, but don't read the post then. It will help you hide your internal frustrations with others doing what you don't agree with.

bulletsworld
03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
I am not saying go out and get an octopus to everyone nor justifying my position on having one. I just know that mine is happier at my house, then the ones in the dim sum tray I had the other day. .

:| You do have a point there. :| You eat em too! :|

As far as your last comment, I am sorry that me having an octopus offends you, but don't read the post then. It will help you hide your internal frustrations with others doing what you don't agree with.

:lol: Perhaps your right.

justinl
03-27-2007, 06:51 PM
I must agree with bulletsworld that keeping octopuses is an iffy subject. Not nearly as bad as blue ribbon eels or moorish idols, but still not stellar either. I say this because keeping them in home aquariums inevitably shortens their lifespan (more than other fish). Still, if the owner is responsible, does his research in advance, and takes VERY GOOD care, then im okay with it.

I don't think anyone should be saying sorry here for having their own opinions or sharing them.

with proper explanation the comment attached to the video is clearer and not offensive i think. taping an animal that is actually dying is a different matter altogether.

"They are very intelligent and even get depressed. It's really sad." I agree that they are intelligent but to go so far as to say they are sad is anthropomorphic. There is no proof of octopuses having defined emotions. I won't deny that they have their urges and responses such as "im hungry" or "grrrrr" but emotional responses are a different matter altogether.

but hell, what do i know?:biggrin:

bulletsworld
03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
"They are very intelligent and even get depressed. It's really sad." I agree that they are intelligent but to go so far as to say they are sad is anthropomorphic. There is no proof of octopuses having defined emotions. I won't deny that they have their urges and responses such as "im hungry" or "grrrrr" but emotional responses are a different matter altogether.
but hell, what do i know?:biggrin:

You have a very good question...

Do octopuses get depressed? This is a valid query, as I've read that they may be equal to dogs and cats in intelligence (though the mechanism of this intelligence, is quite different from those of mammals).

I seen a show which indicated that fish have an increased endorphin level after they are caught and before they die, suggesting that they do feel pain when hooked. An Octopus being (I presume) more intelligent than fish, and displaying emotions so vividly with color changes, I would conclude that they can experience a feeling analogous to depression, triggering the pattern of autophagy ("self eating").

Thoughts?

untamed
03-28-2007, 05:22 AM
This thread is headed for that dark place where people have very strong opinions on whether or not animals..fish..dogs...octopus...whatever...are capable of "Feeling" things in the same way that human beings do.

justinl
03-28-2007, 06:17 AM
This thread is headed for that dark place where people have very strong opinions on whether or not animals..fish..dogs...octopus...whatever...are capable of "Feeling" things in the same way that human beings do.

true that. rudy, any updates on otto?

rudy
03-28-2007, 12:11 PM
true that. rudy, any updates on otto?

Yes, he told me he stubbed his tentacle climbing out of the barnicle last night and is also depressed that there are no chicks in his neighborhood.
:)

JK he is doing well.

BC564
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I have to say...those are some pretty cool video's you posted....glad to see the little fella have perked up

justinl
03-28-2007, 03:25 PM
awww the lil guy is lonely. playa at heart.

untamed
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
awww the lil guy is lonely. playa at heart.

You would be lonely too, if you ate your friends!

EmilyB
03-29-2007, 08:43 AM
:sad:

G1GY
03-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Yes, he told me he stubbed his tentacle climbing out of the barnicle last night and is also depressed that there are no chicks in his neighborhood.
:)

JK he is doing well.

:lol:

Great vids Rudy! :)

BTW, there's nothing wrong with refering to Otto as "dying". As a matter of fact, anything that is living is always getting closer to dying. This would include all of us.

Any of us that keep part of the ocean in a glass box in our home should try to make a point to never even think about being critical of what someone else is doing in their box.

I hope you post more of these great vids.

Thanks for sharing. :)

demon666
03-30-2007, 05:59 AM
i agree.... the minute we are born we start to die just part of life so suck it up!!!!!!! and is it really fair that we all keep creatures of the ocean in a glass box???? really i dont think so........... but we all do.... and i do agree that otto is probably much happier in his "glass box" then on a serving tray at the local dim sum where most octos end up........................

jm2c