PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Dillema

canadawest
11-26-2002, 06:22 AM
Calling all Anemone keepers with hosting clownfish!!!

Well it seems like the fertility of my Bangaii Cardinals has spilled over to my Percula Clowns as they have produced their first clutch of eggs in the 18+ months that I've had them. So I should be thrilled right? Listen on...

So I noticed these little eggs stuck to the rock because I had observed my BTA hadn't opened up and expanded in two days, not to mention the overly aggressive male attacking me when cleaning the glass near their area. Anyways, I've frequently observed a day once a month or so when the BTA stays receded and hidden for a 24 hour period. This has seemed to be normal behavior since keeping BTAs (18+ months) and not a cause for concern but this time it had been two days. So upon closer inspection I discovered the eggs stuck to the underside of the rock, facing the front of the tank, right in the area where the Anemone would normally expand during the day.

So it seems the Clowns are purposefully keeping the BTA from opening up to protect their offspring. Now the question is, would this be normal in the wild? I would have to expect that if the Anemone was harrased too much it would just pack up and move to a new spot right? With that theory in mind, is the Anemone just going to hang out now under shade during the gestation period of the eggs? How long is it able to survive without expanding and feeding from photosynthesis, or is it getting enough food from ambient light reaching it and whatever food the clowns bring by?

Unfortunately both the egg cluster and the Anemone are attached to the same HUGE rock so separating the two is not possible. Should I just let nature run it's course?

PS... I have no intention on raising the clownfish fry right now, possibly something I will consider for future after I do a lot of research and study.

Ideas? Opinions? Experiences?

Samw
11-26-2002, 07:05 AM
Calling all Anemone keepers with hosting clownfish!!!

Ideas? Opinions? Experiences?

First, congrats on the spawning of the clowns. Very cool.

I don't have experiences with clowns beating them up, but do have lots of opinions. :)

I'd say let nature run its course. BTAs are pretty hardy in my experience. If it doesn't like its current location, it will move, and it will move fast.

ranz
11-26-2002, 07:10 AM
I am no expert but I do know that My experiences with Anemones they are really tough characters, I ran one through a 1/4 hole in my overflow and it riped in two.... I have two now! Im telling the truth....

My moneys on the anemone, it will hold out or move...

Ranzreefer

Delphinus
11-26-2002, 05:15 PM
I agree, the anemone can usually fend for itself. If it can't sustain itself without opening into the area, it will likely move. As long as it has a place to move to that suits its needs. I did have a BTA move into the back of my rockwork once, it went into an area of low flow/definitely-low light, and emerged on the other side about a week later, about half size and somewhat bleached out. With that said, it did recover and regain its zooxathellae and size within a few weeks after that. As long as it can still occasionally feed (and is eating the proper foods) they can be very hardy.

I think it's pretty normal for the fish to keep the eggs area clear.

canadawest
11-28-2002, 08:10 AM
Well the Anemone finally expanded today. Even in the same spot as usual, and the clowns didn't seem to mind. Cleverly the stalk of the Anmone isn't even near the cluster of eggs. It's like the Anemone knows they are there and is purposefully avoiding them? Either that or the clowns are carefully directing it's expansion.

In any event, things seem back to normal. After almost two years I should know by now that things just do what they are suppose to do on their own. :roll: