PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8 puffers?

BullDog
03-20-2007, 03:16 AM
Hey. I've been on here a couple times a while ago. One time I was trying to get ideas for my empty tank. At that time, I decided not to start up a tank, as nothing interesting was available. So the tank still sits empty. (30gal)

So I was in the pet store the other day, and decided to check out the feeders, and in with the feeders were a few figure 8 puffers! Well, you all know how cute puffers are, and it got me thinking about getting that tank up and running.

Googling 8 puffer care gives you an avalanche of info, no telling what's accurate. I did a forum search but didn't come up with too much.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these guys? From my google search, some said min 10gal tank and some said min 30gal tank. Would 1 or two be appropriate for a 30gal? (I've read they can be aggressive).
Also, a couple sites said freshwater, and some said brackish, can they do well in both?

Any experience/reliable links would be much appreaciated :D

Kabong
03-20-2007, 03:33 AM
You could have a pair in your 30.
Definatley Brackish water. Yes they can live in fresh, But brack is best for health.
You'll need a good supply of snails to feed them.
Unless the idea of KO'ing your puffer with clove oil and playing dentist apeals to you.

spoot
03-20-2007, 04:16 AM
http://www.thepufferforum.com
http://www.pufferresources.net/forum/ (http://www.pufferresources.net/forum)

Both sites have very knowledgeable people and accurate puffer info.

BullDog
03-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Snails are no problem. Actually, I have a snail problem :lol: You know how you buy an aquatic plant at the petstore, and you see one lone snail on it once you get it home, and you're like, "Aww! How cute! I'm going to keep him!" And the next thing you know you have a tank full of the buggers :P

Thanks for the links Spoot! I'll check those out.

And thanks for the fast replies!

spoot
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
BullDog,
It depends what snails you have. If you have Malaysian Trumpet Snail (the little ice cream cone shaped ones) it's not recomended that you feed them to a puffer. The shells are too hard and can break and damage your puffer's teeth.

bulletsworld
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey Bulldog,

Where are you located?

The figure 8 puffers are very adorable hey. BUT very hard to find one that is not sick with ich or something else. Be sure when buying one that you look at their fins to see that they are clear in color with no tiny spots. Also find out what the petstore keeps there salinity at with this fish. Or borrow someone rafractometer and test before adding to your tank. I have found some stores keep them in FW other stores keep them in full salt (1.026-1.030) (not good) They can be kept at these levels but only for short times, harder on their system. Best at 1.05-1.16 salinity range.

Hope this helps.

bubblepuffer
03-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I don't have figure 8 but 2 green spot puffers that migrate to my Reef tank sooner and will house with my porcupine. Green spot, when they are babies, mostly will be brackish water, then they can fully saltwater when adult

" www.thepufferforum " is the good place to start as I learn all about puffers from there.. There is many brackish, fresh water and saltwater puffer fans over there that got many years of puffer experience.

BullDog
03-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks everyone!

bulletsworld, I'm sure they were in freshwater as they were with a bunch of white clouds. I didn't get a good look at them as I was just breezing through, but they didn't look to bad (considering the overcrowded conditions).

Anyhow, at this point, I've decided not to get any more pets as my cat had an injury and I want to take care of the animals I have before I get more ;) But I will keep all this in mind when I'm ready to add to my personal little zoo :D

King of the Sea
05-20-2007, 02:16 AM
ive had them in fw ive got one in my 150 gallon reef he likes to fight with a large 4 times his size maroon clown so id say there a little aggressive:lol:

bv_reefer
07-13-2007, 04:52 AM
ive had them in fw ive got one in my 150 gallon reef he likes to fight with a large 4 times his size maroon clown so id say there a little aggressive:lol:
-u put keowna insted of kelowna, unno just a quick reminder lol

bv_reefer
07-17-2007, 04:52 AM
-hard 2 breed, looks complicated enuf 2 maintain!