PDA

View Full Version : hawaiian dragon eel

ktrigger
03-20-2007, 01:46 AM
anybody keep a hawaiian dragon eels? i have been researching this eel. i like what i hear about this fish.
could anybody tell me more about this eel? has anybody kept this eel?
everybodies input will be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Ticketyboo
03-20-2007, 01:50 AM
From what i have heard they should be kept on their own as they are one of the most aggressive eels....

J&L have one for sale at $2000 and its teeth are razor sharp!!! Stunning Eel though..... however i couldnt justify a $2000 Eel to my wife...

marie
03-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Here's a thread from a few years ago
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12330

ktrigger
03-20-2007, 03:50 AM
thank you

justinl
03-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Ive always wanted one too... now if only i had the dough to get one.

Same general requirements as other eels. This guy is expensive and rare so Im going to assume you have some experience (despite it being very hardy) and cash too. It will need 100gal minimum and a tight lid that fastens down (Im sure the eel is strong enough to push off a pane of glass). Id suggest a mesh lid that clamps down on the tank. No spaces big enough for him to slither through.

It is more aggressive than most eels so no hand feedings... in fact I wouldn't put my hands in at all. You can take a chance with other fish, but I wouldn't do any overly aggressive fish like a trigger just because you'd probably see your muy expensive eel less. Make sure the fish are considerably larger than the eel's mouth.

Needs a sturdy rock formation (you'd probably want to reinforce the structure with a pvc frame or something).

Scavenger
03-20-2007, 04:23 AM
Stunning Eel though..... however i couldnt justify a $2000 Eel to my wife...

It's easy, just bring it home in a new BMW for your wife! LOL!

ktrigger
03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for your insight justinl. I do have the finances but lack the experience. I have heard this eel was hardy so i wanted to do everything i could to make it the best home possible. I will be buying a 240g long (96x24x24) or a 300 (96x30x25). With a Euro-Reef RC250 or RC500 Skimmer with an ozonizer as well. Lots of water movement and about 3" live sand bed with about 250-300lbs of live rock. Just have to learn how to properly reinforce the rock work with the pvc.
This is a process and I am doing all the research i can before i get started. I hope to be up and running by summertime but if not, the following summer for sure.
I have a job that takes me all over the place. Once I am settled in the hopefully near future, this is what i will set up.
I had planned on puting the hawaiian dragon eel with a clown trigger and an emperor angel. after your comments i may have to rethink tank mates.
Thank you once again for your help.

justinl
03-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Its good to see someone who really does a LOT of reseaerch before taking the jump. Too many noobs just jump in without even knowing what a copepod is.

Actually I have somewhat to retract my comment about triggers. There are a few triggers that are peaceful. For example you may want to take a look at a pinktail trigger if you still want a triiger. Personally I would go with a single puffer (larger than the eels head of course) for a while to see if the eel is going to eat it or not. Only have one fish at the start or else you might be wasting money on a very expensive dragon snack:sad:

Good choice to start out with a good skimmer although I don't see the need to use ozone. I don't think I ever will although some would swear by it. anyone else want to input on this?

you realize you are obligated to start your own tank journal thread once you have this tank up and running right?:biggrin:

Salmon King
03-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I had him grave my finger once.I still have my finger and still hand feed him.You can keep any fish with him as long as you keep him fed.I feed him baby octupus /squid and formula cubes.He/s 3 to 3 1/2 feet.

digitalsteve
03-21-2007, 03:14 AM
what formula cubes do you feed him?

why?

Salmon King
03-21-2007, 04:04 AM
what formula cubes do you feed him?

why?

I feed him formula 1 and 2.The different protiens then octupus and squid.I found his colour inproved with them.