PDA

View Full Version : nano-streams, any problems?

kwirky
03-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Just curious if anyone's run into any problems after the "first batch"? Heard of various people needing theirs exchanged if they got the "first batch" of them.

mr_alberta
03-19-2007, 09:34 PM
I have 4 of them (2-6025, 2-6045)

So far so good, though the 6025's a much louder than the larger 6045 models. The magnet mount is a nice feature. Good flow for a nano, but on larger tanks they don't really seem to have enough umph.

michika
03-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Harvey,

Are you using them on the tank in your signature? I want a pair, but I am waiting on more reviews for use on a nano.

mr_alberta
03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Right now I have the two larger ones and two 6100 tunze's on my large tank. I have one of the smaller ones in my sump to prevent crud from settling there and I have the other smaller one in my nano tank.

http://members.shaw.ca/harvwong/03.19.07/03.19.07%20008.jpg

wayner
03-19-2007, 10:38 PM
My 6045 runs well, but won't restart when unplugged

Der_Iron_Chef
03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
The impeller shaft on my first 6025 completely rusted and broke off within a month. It was replaced at the store (thanks, Colby, you rock...woot woot! ok...got carried away). The second nano sometimes has issues restarting right away when unplugged. One time it took me over 100 times unplugging and plugging back in, before it started up. Most of the time, it's ok though.

It works really well, though. Convenient, inconspicuous, etc.

michika
03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I was told the nanostreams cannot be used with a controller, is this true? Is there a way to get around this?

Der_Iron_Chef
03-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I believe that's right...and I'm not sure there would be any way to get around it.

kwirky
03-20-2007, 12:26 AM
cool, thanks for the feedback. Was considering whether the price difference between a nano-stream and a seio was worth it. It seems the nano-stream is a model line-up to compete with the seio for price by providing a little more innovation for a little more money.

mr_alberta
03-20-2007, 02:06 AM
You can wait until the 6055 Nanostream comes out. That ones controllable.

AndyL
03-20-2007, 03:04 AM
Check RC - there's some discussion of using the nanostreams and the hydors on the new TAAM wavemaker - apparently it's worked quite well. Doesn't bring the powerheads down to a dead stop, instead adjusting frequency being fed to reduce flow/power. (Read it worked well on the maximod too)

GrimReefer
03-20-2007, 03:34 AM
I was told the nanostreams cannot be used with a controller, is this true? Is there a way to get around this?

this is posted by a Tunze rep on reefcentral:

"They need a long interval of at least 15 minutes to keep a decent service life. They will last longer the less they are switched. It is possible that periodically, especially as they become dirty, that they will run backwards. It is not ideal but within limits, it is possible."

the first time i plugged my nanostreams in, one ran backwards. unplugged it...plugged it back in, no problems. i've shut them down only once since then, and both needed a few restarts to run correctly.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
The impeller shaft on my SECOND 6025 has just rusted and broke off and is causing a horrible sound. Grrr.

Should I try a third time and hope for better luck? :mad:

Buddyboy
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
How about a Hydor Koralia pump? Seems to be attracting lots of (mostly good) attention. And cheaper too!

http://www.hydor.it/inglese/koralia.htm

dirtyreefer
04-16-2007, 08:50 PM
The "teeth" that attach the Y-clip to the magnet broke off on mine. Apparently this is happening on quite a few of the nano-streams.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
How about a Hydor Koralia pump? Seems to be attracting lots of (mostly good) attention. And cheaper too!

http://www.hydor.it/inglese/koralia.htm

I'm definitely looking into those...have been considering them for a while now. I contacted the Canadian rep for Tunze, and they're already shipping out a new motor for my busted Nanostream. Pretty good customer service, if you ask me!

Quagmire
04-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Ive had my 6025 for a few months now ( cant remember how long :redface:) I have a couple bad things to say,but they would be easy fixes for Tunze on the next batches.
#1 Thing I dont like is the little tabs that hold the bracket to the magnet break too easily.
#2 Mine dosn't like to restart after I turn it off for tank cleaning.I have to bang it on the side of the tank untill it starts,then put it in the water just to have it quit again :twised: This is how I broke the tabs in the first place,sometimes I want to throw it through the window.

On the positive side,flow is fantastic,not strong in one place but nicely disperced(sp)It dosn't seem like much if you hold your hand infront,but they move alot of water. If you brake the tabs like I did,all you have to do is glue the bracket onto the magnet holder.
Ive been planning on getting another one,and unless something better comes on the market at a decent price,the problems Ive had wont stop me from getting a second one.