PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing help

digital-audiophile
03-19-2007, 07:15 PM
So I think I might need a fellow reefers help.

I picked up a tank on the weekend and it has an overflow drilled on the left hand side of the tank, a glas over flow box has been siliconed in now and I am trying to figure out how to plumb this thing. I am not much of a DIY guy and this is the first time I will have ever dealt with a plumbed tank. I am going to get a sump built but since the stand is small I think it will have to be external to the tank. I have two options on where to place the tank in my basement. One is on a short wall as you come down the basement with the furnace room in behind. I thought that maybe I could cut a hole in the wall and place the sump in behind, this would meen a couple elbow turns and about 4 feet back into the tank. The other option is along another wall and I coukld put the sump on the right hand side of the tank, this would be about the same distance back to the tank, perhaps a little shorter. I don't have the space on the on the other wall where I could put the sump on the left hand side.

I can post some pictures and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Joe Reefer
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't think you would want to put the sump in the furnace room, two reasons the heat from the furnace (if the sump is close enough) will make the tank temp unstable and saltwater is pretty corrosive and it could cause your furnace's heat exchanger the fail prematurely. Just my 2 cents.

digital-audiophile
03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
That was one of my fears, along with the fact that I also keep my kitty litter box in there and there could be contamination of litter into the sump.

Joe Reefer
03-19-2007, 08:28 PM
eww cat pee. :mrgreen:

kwirky
03-19-2007, 08:56 PM
i wouldn't want a sump in a heater room because the heater'd be sucking up tons of oxygen, and it would be fluctuating in temperature probably in ways you wouldn't like.

mark
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
All depends on how big the furnace room.

Have my sump in mine with no problems with either moisture or heat fluctuations but then it's probably 10x10" plus the crawl space under the landing and stairs. As for combustion air, my furnace draws direct from outside as it's HE unit but if wasn't, it's code to have a combustion air intake line anyway, plus would also get air exchange from tank.

Joe Reefer
03-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Good point Mark, I guess my tank is technically in the furnace room also. Its just the room is huge.

mark
03-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Good point Mark, I guess my tank is technically in the furnace room also. Its just the room is huge.

your whole operation is huge:biggrin: