PDA

View Full Version : What size pump to use for a new skimmer

BCOrchidGuy
03-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Okay I'm very frustrated with my SuperSkimmer, some days it fills the collection cup with water for no reason what so ever, other days it just fills with microbubbles and then fills the tank with microbubbles. I'm giving a lot of thought to cutting the thing apart and building a box to go underneath it, I'd pump water into it that has air going in to the pump just before the impeller. I'd have a baffle to direct the water into the tower(column) but allow some water to go underneath it. I could control the water level with a ball valve on the output as well as by controlling the amount of air going into the pump.

My aquarium is a 60 gallon cube and I'd like to get peoples suggestions on what size pump I should use or if the stock RIO 1100 would be adequate.

I know I've seen pictures etc of DIY skimmers that work on the same principle but the search only goes back so far and there are no DIY Skimmer threads that come up.

Doug

michika
03-22-2007, 03:16 AM
You going with a venturi skimmer style or beckett???

marie
03-22-2007, 03:47 AM
Doug, sorry to hijack your thread :redface: ... I know nothing about skimmers. I just wanted to know where you got your cube tank from, I am looking for one the same size

BCOrchidGuy
04-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Sorry I didn't even know anyone had responded to this thread.

Beckett or Venturi, not sure, I think I've got the skimmer working now (maybe).

As for the tank I got it from King Ed pets, 604 525-4955, it's a SeaStar and although I love the size I'm not overly happy with the tank. I tried to use an algae brush on it and the glass scratched, it looks like crap and of course it's right in the middle of the front pane of glass. When I say it scratched it's not like a deep scratch it's more like a poor polish, not like gravel scratched it.

Doug

Skimmerking
04-06-2007, 04:43 AM
Doug is the tank Star fire

BCOrchidGuy
04-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Star fire???? NOOOOO I wish it was, it's just a Sea Star and I'm at the point where I'm thinking of ordering a second one and being extra careful about cleaning the glass. Money is tight so I wont be able to get a Star fire but in the mean time I think I'm going to complain and see if maybe they had a batch of bad glass, maybe I'll get a warranty replacment, who knows.

Doug