PDA

View Full Version : Best Reef Literature

GrimReefer
03-19-2007, 05:42 AM
I only own one book dedicated to the hobby so far....Borneman's Aquarium Corals. It is the best investment I've made. I'm also planning to buy Caltho's Reef Invertebrates.

Any other suggestions??

Johnny Reefer
03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Delbeek & Sprung's 3 volume set "The Reef Aquarium". I've never even seen a copy...let alone leaf through it, but I hear it's "The Bible".

One of these days......:sad:.

Cheers,

justinl
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
If you want a good invert book, Ive heard good things about "Crustacea Guide of the world" by Helmut Debelius. I plan to buy it one day.

Joe Reefer
03-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Reef Aquarium vol 3. is a great book. Lots of information on setting up a reef aquarium, equipment etc.

Reef Invertibrates and Aqaurium Corals are great books, I also think Corals - A Quick Reference Guide by Sprung is worth noting too.

revgeoff
03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
The reef aquarium series is very good. You can get them from Chapters online or Amazon for decent prices.

GrimReefer
03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Are the Reef Aquarium volumes just updated versions of the previous? Or is each volume worth owning?

Joe Reefer
03-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Good question. I got volume 3 for my birthday, and just finished reading it this weekend.

michika
03-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Currently volume 2 is only available on Chapters.ca. I looked cause I wanted to buy today. :D

kwirky
03-19-2007, 06:24 PM
PocketExpert Guide: Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.

cheap, and quite good. Fairly recent, too (c) 2003.

michika
03-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I also have to put in for Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael, 2001. Good reference guide mostly for photos. Good point to remember though is that the images published are all the most unique that can be found, e.g. the Regal Tang on pg. 388 shows the yellow belly version, not often seen in the hobby.

christyf5
03-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Are the Reef Aquarium volumes just updated versions of the previous? Or is each volume worth owning?

Each one is separate, concentrating on different topics.

Vol 1. Stony corals and clams
Vol 2. Soft corals and anemones
Vol 3. science art and technology of building aquariums.

I have vols 2 and 3. Too wordy for me, I just looked at the pictures :wink:

I'd recommend the Conscientious Aquarist by Bob Fenner and definitely get Calfos Marine Inverts book. I can't wait till they release the new one.
Marine Fishes 500 essential to know aquarium species by Scott Michael is one of the most often read books in my collection. Its practically falling apart :mrgreen:

kwirky
03-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Marine Fishes 500 essential to know aquarium species by Scott Michael is one of the most often read books in my collection. Its practically falling apart :mrgreen:

I have that one, too. pretty good.

Pescador
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Here's a list of a bunch

The Reef Aquarium, Vols. 1, 2, and 3 Delbeek and Sprung
Corals (A quick reference guide) Julian Sprung
Invertebrates (A quick reference guide) Julian Sprung
Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, Vols. 1,2,3,4 Fossa and Nilsen
Reef Secrets Fossa and Nilsen
Fishes and Coral (same publisher as above) Brockman
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist Robert Fenner
Reef Invertebrates Calfo & Fenner
Aquarium Corals Borneman
Natural Reef Aquariums J.Tullock
Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium J.Tullock
First Marine Aquarium J.Tullock
Clownfish and Sea Anemones J.Tullock
Marine Atlas, Vol. 1, 2, 3 Baensch
Giant Clams Knop
Marine Aquarium Reference, Systems & Inverts Moe
The Marine Aquarium Handbook Moe
The Captive Reef Dana Riddle
The New Marine Aquarium Paletta
Live Sand Secrets B.Goemans
Protein Skimming & Activated Carbon Secrets B.Goemans
Marine Algae Control Secrets B.Goemans
Sand Bed Secrets R.Shimak
Reef Fish Identification Humann
The Marine Aquarium Mills

michika
03-19-2007, 10:54 PM
We should make this thread into a sticky for new reefers!

BCOrchidGuy
03-20-2007, 04:16 AM
My library is limited but I like and use these four books

Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook, Dr. Roberty J. Goldstein (Barrons books)
Aquarium Corals, Eric H. Borneman
Clownfish, Joyce D Wilkerson
Reef Life (Natural History and Behaviors of Marine Fishes and Invertebrates), Denise Nielsen Tackett & Larry Tackett

and of course all the stickys on Canreef.

Doug

Alterego
03-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Is there one book that any of you would cite as a must have for the new reefer?

Norstar
03-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Being a newbie myself :biggrin: , I would say

The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3 Delbeek and Sprung
Natural Reef Aquariums Tullock
Aquarium Corals Borneman

Pescador
03-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Definitely can't go wrong with those.

Oscar
04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Delbeek & Sprung's 3 volume set "The Reef Aquarium". I've never even seen a copy...let alone leaf through it, but I hear it's "The Bible".

One of these days......:sad:.

Cheers,

So as a newbie still deciding what size and style of tank to invest in Volume 3 would be the place to start?

Joe Reefer
04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
So as a newbie still deciding what size and style of tank to invest in Volume 3 would be the place to start?

Yes, this book will prevent you from making some very expensive mistakes.

Norstar
04-03-2007, 03:21 AM
Can anyone recommend some good fish compatability charts or books? Better yet, fish and coral compatability charts or books?

Snappy
04-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Can anyone recommend some good fish compatability charts or books? Better yet, fish and coral compatability charts or books?
I believe the Dr smith & foster website has a pretty good compatability chart that came in handy for me.

Snappy
04-13-2007, 02:32 AM
For those who are interested in coral id and taxonomy I would add another book-set to the list:
Corals of the world volumes 1 2 3 by J E N Veron
I give this set a very big 2 thumbs up.

GrimReefer
07-06-2007, 03:52 AM
For those who are interested in coral id and taxonomy I would add another book-set to the list:
Corals of the world volumes 1 2 3 by J E N Veron
I give this set a very big 2 thumbs up.

i'm sorry i have to compare it to the bible....does it surpass Borneman's Aquarium Corals?? the only thing that could make it better is a species by species break-down....

michika
07-06-2007, 04:15 AM
I tried to pick up Vernon's books through my university bookstore, chapters, and amazon, but can't get it because its only available in the U.K. and Australia I've heard. Has anyone else had lucking finding it, or picking it up locally?

I've also heard recommendations on Staghorn Corals of the World; A Revision of the Cenus Acropora, by Carden Wallace Museum of Tropical Queensland. ISBN 0643063919. Again though, I haven't had luck finding it locally.

Calfo also has a new book coming out this year; Book of Coral Propagation. You can currently pre-order it here: http://www.readingtrees.com/sales_preorder_bocp.html. Since its new I haven't heard anything about how updated it is, or what has changed since the first edition.

Pescador
07-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Wai's did have a copy of the 3 volume set, if it's not still there he might be able to get another. $$:smile:

michika
07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Wai's did have a copy of the 3 volume set, if it's not still there he might be able to get another. $$:smile:

Do you mean Vernon's set?

Pescador
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, Vernon's set, and also Amazon.com has it and they will ship it to Canada.

michika
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks, I'll look into.

Veng68
07-10-2007, 02:06 AM
Try checking out Premium Aquatics....... they will also ship it via USPS so you only get charge $5 brokerage fee vs $35+ with UPS/Fedex
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CORALSWOR&Category_Code=Books

Cheers,
Vic[veng68]

Veng68
07-11-2007, 01:27 AM
bump

o.c.d.
01-28-2008, 03:33 AM
I purchased Veron's from Marine Depot it came in perfect condition, I my 2nd edition copy of Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation (Hard cover) and wow it done way better than the first edition ,He added a lot more photos and seems like more info but I just started reading. One thing I must say about Veron's corals of the world the amount of corals described is staggering like over 100 pages on montipora

michika
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I finally got Calfo's book on Coral Propagation last week, and I also picked up Fartheree's Giant Clam book too. So far the Giant Clam book reads like an intro to post-secondary reading, but the photos are very nice.

SeaSerpant
01-29-2008, 01:18 AM
what do you think the best book would be for the newbie reefer?

Floop70
01-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I'd recommend the Conscientious Aquarist by Bob Fenner

As a newb reefer myself I picked up this book recently and so far I think it's certainly worthwile. I don't have anything to compare it to though...:biggrin:

SeaSerpant
01-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Lol. First hand information there. Lol. Anyone else?

Johnny Reefer
01-29-2008, 01:40 AM
what do you think the best book would be for the newbie reefer?
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Palleta. Doesn't really focus on reefing, per se, but IMO it is an excellent book on marine basics. My apologies re: this recommendation if your beyond that and indeed are looking specificly (sp?) for reefing lit.

On another note....and not sure if it's been mentioned yet....but the online mag "Reefkeeping". Fantastic! I just recently took the opportunity of printing off some 170 of these articles.....at work :redface: . If I can somehow save face on that....it was on weekends during slow times and 3/4 of them I printed in black & white. I ended up with 6 big binders of them. For me, nothing beats having a hardcopy in hand.

Cheers,

SeaSerpant
01-29-2008, 01:48 AM
where is this online magazine (site)?

Johnny Reefer
01-29-2008, 03:09 AM
where is this online magazine (site)?
Go to reefcentral.com. You'll find it there.

sparky
05-21-2008, 12:28 AM
I own this book and its the best of 5 books that I've read

whatcaneyedo
08-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Lets see... I've got:

1. A Pocket Expert Guide Marine Fishes by Michael
2. A Pocket Expert Guide Marine Invertebrates by Shimek (these are handy to have when their isn’t an internet connection and a computer close by)

3. Giant Clams in the Sea and in the Aquarium by Fatherree (I couldn’t get over the very informal writing style. There wasn’t a great deal of information here that isnt common in other material)

4. Reef Invertebrates by Calfo and Fenner (Covers most of the non-coral, non-anemone invertebrates that most books dont talk about. Very good read)

5. Book of Coral Propagation by Calfo (I was hoping more experiences regarding coral propagation, however this book really makes you think towards the sustainability of the hobby)

6. Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium by Dakin (not that complete... shows pictures of prizm skimmers... probably caused me to buy one... I cant recommend it because of that)

7. Ultimate Marine Aquariums by Paletta (Outdated now, TOTM online articles are more worth while)

8. Aquarium Corals by Borneman (a must have, I'm always referencing back to it)

9. Reef Secrets by Nilsen and Fossa (very simple and informative for beginners)

10. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner (great book for beginners, helps you think more ethically about the hobby)

I've read all of them cover to cover except the pocket guides. I've just ordered The Reef Aquarium Vol 3 from chapters.com ($65 shipped) after hearing so much about it.