PDA

View Full Version : Coral banded shrimp "issue"

X-Treme
03-18-2007, 05:57 PM
So........... Not sure how..........but, my coral banded shrimp lost one of his "major" arms/legs/claws. This "claw" was one of the ones with all the bandings on it. Anyone know if it will grow back? Other than this, he seems no worse for wear.

cav~firez22
03-18-2007, 06:02 PM
as far as i know, shrimp do molt their shells. anyone else have any info /input on this?

My lobster just molted last night. I saw is carcus floating by the anenomie, and 2 mins later the lobster scurried from under a rock.

marie
03-18-2007, 06:06 PM
So........... Not sure how..........but, my coral banded shrimp lost one of his "major" arms/legs/claws. This "claw" was one of the ones with all the bandings on it. Anyone know if it will grow back? Other than this, he seems no worse for wear.

It should grow back, may take a few molts though if it is a "major" leg

justinl
03-18-2007, 06:19 PM
I don't knw if the following works for coral banded shrimp, but this is what i do if a mantis loses an appendage...

target feed to make sure that it is eating. I feed frozens soaked in a supplement like selcon. Make sure it isn't being bother by anything, if it is, isolate it. A few molts and it should regenerate. Some people add iodine to make them molt more often, but this is bad practice.

untamed
03-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I know from first hand experience that your coral banded will regrow his arm. You'll be surprised how quickly it will happen.

You might question WHY he lost it. My experience was that I had a mantis that I was unaware of. In fact, this was my first clue. The mantis eventually killed the coral banded, but there were about 4-5 arm loses that should have clued me in.

justinl
03-18-2007, 09:43 PM
im just surprised the coral banded survived that long. Maybe the mantis was going for the "sustainable" food source? :biggrin: