PDA

View Full Version : Shopping trip

Midknight
03-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Was thinking of popping across the boarder for a look around.
Does anybody know of some good aqurium shops in the Blain area?

cav~firez22
03-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I didnt know Blaine even had a pet store...

sobe
03-21-2007, 08:09 AM
btw not to hijack the thread but since we are in the topic on "shopping" across the border. What's the rule on bring in back live fish across the border back to Canada?

andresont
03-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I once herd $300, for a single time permit to bring anything alive, providing you get the permint in advance of corse. This was in the airport though

Midknight
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Too much trouble to live stock. Was looking for hardware, things we don't bring into Canada yet.:wink:

ref leppard
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
There's one petstore in downtown Bellingham. It's near the bus station . Hair algae!

Veng68
03-21-2007, 06:45 PM
better to mail order from the states for stuff we don't get up here. The pricec in the retail stores are crazy........ I saw $130 US for a pail of Instant Oceean Salt (In Seattle)!!!!

Cheers,
Aquaman

deep6er
03-25-2007, 05:43 AM
I once herd $300, for a single time permit to bring anything alive, providing you get the permint in advance of corse. This was in the airport though

A friend of mine brings fish across the border all the time. They dont give him any problem and most of the time he doesn't even pay duty.

Norstar
03-25-2007, 03:28 PM
I tried researching stores in Washington. Slim pickin's in our neck of the woods. You pretty much have to go all the way to Seattle to find a decent fish store.

Hardware should be no problem bringing it back.

Tom R
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I was in Florida a while back and did some pet store tours. I could not believe how expensive they were. Thank you J&L and OA.

Tom R

skylord
03-25-2007, 05:21 PM
You have to know where to go....try to talk to the local reefers in the area you are heading. It would be the same as someone coming here and only finding BA's. They would be saying the same thing..."damn the prices are high in Canada".

andsoitgoes
03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Or in another industry, having tourists come to Vancouver and shop for CDs, etc from the old Virgin Megastore. I always felt for them ;)

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I was in Florida a while back and did some pet store tours. I could not believe how expensive they were. Thank you J&L and OA.

Tom R

You have to know where to go in Florida. I lived there for a long time and once you find the right places, its cheaper then Vancouver. If you just go to the big, "well known" shops there, its crazy expensive but a lot of the smaller shops are really cheap.

You can also buy LR down there for $2-3 a lb. so it is a bit cheaper to set up a tank there.

kaboom
05-11-2007, 03:48 AM
It's definately all about who you know, which will lead you to going to the right place for the deals. Myself, I will be the Seatle area on the long weekend and hoping to check out some LFS. Anybody with any suggestions?

Gordon H
06-10-2007, 11:57 AM
A friend of mine brings fish across the border all the time. They dont give him any problem and most of the time he doesn't even pay duty.

Is your friend willing to tell us if there is any magic to bringing fish across the border? Do you have to get a license or permit of some sort? What does the process look like?

Thanks in advance!
Gord.