PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Shops in Victoria

Oscar
03-18-2007, 05:05 PM
We will be in Victoria next weekend, flying in from the Okanagan. We will not have a car so I am looking for suggestions on aquarium shops in the downtown area.

I do not have a tank yet, still in the research and looky-loo mode.

thanks

woodcarver
03-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Safari ......................Cloverdale and Blanshard ( if you are just looking for ideas you must see the set up on the front counter ,amazing )
Creatures ....... Bay and Blandshard ,in the Wendy's strip mall well worth a visit
Hillside Aquatics ..........Hillside and Cook, usually has a good variety in well maintained tanks
If you manage to get up to Duncan .........IPZ behind Macdonalds . Scott always helpful with large selection of tanks etc.
Have a good visit.
..................Dave

Oscar
03-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks Dave, on foot I do not think we will get to Duncan, but the shops you listed should give me some more ideas.

grant

scumchug
03-18-2007, 11:58 PM
IMO your time would be far better spent touring the town, and taking in some of the attractions Victoria has to offer. If you can make it to Duncan, Island Pet Zone has a good selection, and fair prices. Aside from there, the selection is quite limited, and expect to pay about 2 times what you would normally pay.

Oscar
03-19-2007, 02:13 AM
Seeing that I will only be window shopping, part of my reserach phase, I am not too worried about prices.

I have been to Victoria a few times so seeing the sights is not a big issue. Getting a break from work and away from the usual household chores is the real benefit.

grant

Johnny Reefer
03-19-2007, 03:34 AM
Hillside Aquatics ..........Hillside and Cook
Hillside Aquatics is at Hillside and Cedar Hill, just down the street a ways from Cook.

GrimReefer
03-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Come see us at Safari. No pressure for sales and I'm always happy to talk about reefing. At the very least visit to see Japarto's display tank. It'll give you an idea of what kind of stock goes through the store.

woodcarver
03-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the correction Mark ( so used to going down Cook ) :):)
...................Dave

Jaws
03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
IMO your time would be far better spent touring the town, and taking in some of the attractions Victoria has to offer. If you can make it to Duncan, Island Pet Zone has a good selection, and fair prices. Aside from there, the selection is quite limited, and expect to pay about 2 times what you would normally pay.

You'd be surprised with the deals and service you get from a local store if you decide to support them by buying some of your stuff there. They can't afford to drop there prices for all the window shoppers out there. Prices will always be a little higher because of additional shipping costs.

scumchug
03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
You'd be surprised with the deals and service you get from a local store if you decide to support them by buying some of your stuff there. They can't afford to drop there prices for all the window shoppers out there. Prices will always be a little higher because of additional shipping costs.

HA HA HA HA HA. Thats a good one. ur funny..........

Ohhhhh, are you being serious???

Jaws
03-21-2007, 11:55 PM
No, you're right. I'm just kidding. As a matter of fact, I think we should buy everything from the States because its all cheaper there. But wait... how do I buy stuff from the States when I don't make any money here because all of my customers shop out of town for the cheapest prices too?

I'm not trying to start anything or get into it with anyone. When I first started in this hobby I had a similar outlook. I just wish people would consider giving local stores a chance at building a relationship instead of dismissing them all together. It's what keeps my company in business and since they sign my paychecks I'm happy for that. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Safari, Hillside, and Creatures are all excellent stores and all have their personal strengths. Hope you have a good visit.

woodcarver
03-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I think The last post from 'scumchug ' should be deleted .This thread has gone from a genuine enquiry for where the local stores are situated to a mini rant from someone with an axe to grind.The last time I looked we lived in a free society where it is O.K. to charge what the market will pay.
If he thinks he can do better maybe he should try !!
Nobody is frog marching him into their establishment.
And ,no ,I have no connection with any retail store...........I just appreciate what they have to offer .
There ,thats better, :):)
.....................Dave

Fugu
03-22-2007, 03:55 AM
are you looking for FW or SW stuff?

Aquattro
03-22-2007, 05:03 AM
HA HA HA HA HA. Thats a good one. ur funny..........

Ohhhhh, are you being serious???

Some of the best prices I've ever got are from the local shops, and I've bought a fair amount of stuff. The helpful advise and great customer service make the occasional higher price well worth the cost.

Salmon King
03-23-2007, 06:02 AM
I have been in this hobby for 12 years and have seen it all.One saying I heard from a local store owner.If a fish dies they will come back and buy another.I have seen lots of night mares caused by bad advice.How soon people forget.There are a couple good stores on the island.I think most people in the hobby for awhile know.

GrimReefer
03-23-2007, 06:22 AM
I have been in this hobby for 12 years and have seen it all.One saying I heard from a local store owner.If a fish dies they will come back and buy another.I have seen lots of night mares caused by bad advice.How soon people forget.There are a couple good stores on the island.I think most people in the hobby for awhile know.

please do not base your impression of local stores on one individual. a good store knows that a solid customer base will be found with good advice. successful hobbyists are the best customers and a good store will help them in any way they can!

Cameron
03-23-2007, 06:41 AM
It is disapointing to see the variations in price for the same items, when in fact the shipping charges arent nearly as much as the stores make it out to be. Buying local is one thing, being consumer aware is something totally different.

Salmon King
03-23-2007, 06:42 AM
You think it/s one person or one store/ one purchase.

Oscar
03-23-2007, 01:05 PM
are you looking for FW or SW stuff?

Just educating myself on SW reefs.

Fugu
03-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I have been soured by local SW prices.I either save up or ship in.Good advice is evereywhere though.

But ime not shure a corillane algea scraper with a long handel is worth $46...not pointing any store out....just sayin...

Cameron
03-24-2007, 03:25 AM
Or $90 tangs, ICH included. lol

$30-$40 cleaner shrimp.

Reefhawk1
03-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Where did Creatures move to In Victoria?

Johnny Reefer
03-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Where did Creatures move to In Victoria?
Blanshard and Bay. Right by Wendy's.

castaway
03-24-2007, 01:36 PM
It is disapointing to see the variations in price for the same items, when in fact the shipping charges arent nearly as much as the stores make it out to be. Buying local is one thing, being consumer aware is something totally different.

I must agree there.
I had a store in both Edmonton and Nanaimo. Shipping charges were very close or the same as to Vancouver. It is supply and demand there is really no competition on the island.

Or $90 tangs, ICH included. lol

You've got that right. I don't know how many times I've gone into a store and turned around and walked out due to seeing sick and dying fish(And people buying them). But thats not only on the island it happens everywhere.

Borderjumper
03-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I agree that things here on the Island are pricy.. but isnt everything?

The way I see it is that no one is holding a gun to your head making you buy something. If you dont want to pay the price leave and go elsewhere. Shop around. I buy locally and I buy online. I was just looking at a yellow tang last night... 49.99 did I buy it?? Not a chance. But in the very next tank was a beauty of a fairy wrasse for a very reasonable price.. which now has a new home.

I guess what I am saying is all the whining and complaining about prices isnt going to do a damn thing. Its actions that speak. If you think its too much..say so.. and walk away. If its worth the price to you.. buy it. end of story:mrgreen: