PDA

View Full Version : Need help, advice, kick in the.........

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 03:29 PM
OK so let me start with some background. I have a 55 gal semicube, 20 gal sump, lots of live rock (see pictures in tank build section). Lighting is provided by a nice coralife 150 HQI lighting fixture. Bare bottom. Whenever I check the levels (which probably isn't often enough) they all seem to be good. Top up aprox. 5 gal every 3 days. Water changes every week or so. Skimmmer is putting out good skim. Running phosban and charcoal.

Now to the problem. Noting seems to be growing. 6 months of growth for my frags has got them almost over the edge of the frag button/holder thing. Everything seems to be doing well other than growth. All the fish are eating well. The tube anenome is eating well. The LTA is eating well whenever I can find him. I can't even get the cheato to grow in the sump. About the only thing that seems to be growing well is the green algae on the glass, which I try to clean off everyday. Any advice? Or a volunteer to come over and tell me what the h e double hockey sticks I'm doing wrong?

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

andresont
03-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Even though your levels seam to be ok you might need a calcium reactor or A&B suplement because your corals need some "buffer" of staff to be able to pull from for proper growth. so for now they just survive.

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Can you add more on the A&B supplements?

Black Phantom
03-18-2007, 04:20 PM
The a & b is a two part additive for your tank. It boosts alkalinity and calcium. Both need to be at proper levels for your corals to do well.
There are a number of different types on the market so you can chose.
The algae growth is from too much nutrients in you tank or maybe your lighting.
Watch how much you feed and don't let your bulbs get too old.

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I have been trying to sparingly and the bulbs are new.

untamed
03-18-2007, 04:47 PM
You didn't mention what you are currently doing now to keep your Ca/Alk levels up. If you are doing anything, that would suggest that is where the problem lies.

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I am doing nothing right now. Suggestions?

Tangman
03-18-2007, 05:31 PM
You didn't mention what you are currently doing now to keep your Ca/Alk levels up. If you are doing anything, that would suggest that is where the problem lies.
He didn't actually state what the Cal, Alk or Mag levels were either.

Glenn are you testing them ? and what brand of test kits are you using?
You must know what the Cal, Alk and Mag levels are before you start adding any supplements
If you don't have these test kits I recommend Salfert test kits

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Test kit is a Nutrifin master test kit. Not a great one but it should give me pretty close levels.

tests include:
CA
PH
Iron
KH/GH
PO4
NH3
NH4
NO2
NO3

What else am I missing?

marie
03-18-2007, 07:14 PM
He didn't actually state what the Cal, Alk or Mag levels were either.

If you could give us these levels it would give us a better idea as to whether you need to add calcium and alk or if your problems lies elsewhere

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I am just doing a full test right now. Will add the specs as soon as I am done.

Thanks
Glenn

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Test results:

CA 480
KH 90
PO4 0
NO3 0-5

marie
03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
I think you need better test kits but if the measurement for alk is the same as the hagen testkits then your alk is very low and the calcium is a wee bit high. Buffering will help to bring the up alk levels
Check out these links particularily anything pertaining to the relationship between alk calcium and magnesium :mrgreen:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19425

Glennrf38
03-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Marie. I know that I need to put out some bucks for the good kits pretty soon. And thanks for the links. I picked up some Turbo Calcium, trace elements, buffer solution, reef roids and Coral Frenzy today.

Tangman
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Test results:

CA 480 OK ( a bit high as Marie said)
KH 90 too low 90mg/L( hagen test kit)= to 1.8meg/L or 5.1 dKH
natural sea water is 8dKH ,most of us shoot for about 9 or 10 dKH
PO4 0 OK
NO3 0-5 OK

Beverly
03-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Also, magnesium levels should be about 1350 ppm, or that's where I try to keep mine.