PDA

View Full Version : dead coraline

Snappy
03-18-2007, 02:32 AM
I tested my parameters today and found my alk a little low (7dkh) for what my overdose in calcium was (ca about 530) so I did a water change and a few adjustments so things should sort themselves out in a day or two. I noticed when I got back from holidays earlier this week my coraline algae was mostly all white. The corals all look fine but most of the coraline is dead. Could that be from the kid taking care of my tank while I was away over dosing? Any other ideas as to what would cause this?

Jason McK
03-18-2007, 02:56 AM
I'm currently struggleing with my ALK and have found it as low as 4Kh. While my CA is 430 and PH 8.0. I have seen no reaction by my Coraline or corals.

Any change to your lighting?

J

kwirky
03-18-2007, 04:34 AM
how long were you away? maybe they didn't dose at all, then added everything at once just before you got home? maybe that caused the severe imbalance in calc/alk? Calcium dissolves quite easily if you dump it all in at once (from my own experience) but the alk part doesn't play as nicely. That's the only thing I could think of that would cause both an imballance, and problems with the coraline?

I left my tank with my sister to look after once for a week, and she never did any top off AT ALL the entire time. when I got home, my pumps would have been running dry within 4 hours! I'm not going for any extended trips till I get dosing pumps, myself.

Snappy
03-20-2007, 08:18 PM
No lighting changes and I was only gone for a week. The kid has always been pretty good in the past and I have stressed the importance of each care process with him and pay him $10. per day to tanksit so it is worth his while to go next door. I wonder if it has something to do with not dosing the Polyp-Labs "Reef Fresh" (similar to zeovit)for a week. I wouldn't think so but who knows? I don't grow a lot of coraline anyway as my tank is pretty full with sps which seem to suck back the calcium in a big way.

rusty
03-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Hey Gregg I have had all my coraline go white before as well and it came back pretty quickly. And I have no idea why it did it