PDA

View Full Version : green alge problem

P R Wildwood
03-17-2007, 02:06 PM
how or can i even control green alge . i have a lawnmower goby i told that he take care of it but no luck so far . any ideas or advice ?

robzilla
03-17-2007, 04:05 PM
try to provide us with more details about your system.
i've been battling aglae for months now, and i'm slowly winning but there are many factors to consider.
use the search function on this board and do some reading and provide us details of your system and we'll help you start your battle.
unfortunately there is no quick and easy solution (if there is, please someone share it we me :) )

andresont
03-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Here comes one more of those 60 pages threads...
yea, better search for it on this forum we have talked about it many times and there are some great links that point back to times when you need to wait for 3 month before you put any fish in your tank, and filter out Phosfates etc. now becase you got that stupid Demsel (to sycle your tank) the worst LFS advise out there)) you have algae.
J&L got some sea hares in stock BTW.
well , we all have been there at some point dont feel that you are the first one who has algae in the tank :)

Rippin
03-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Lots of info on this topic on this board but here are a few key things you should try:

- check phosphates
- reduce the amount of time you have your lights on
- be diligent with your weekly water changes (RO water may be better depending on what your TDS reading is in your area)
- don't overfeed - even better to spot feed = less waste
- use macro algae (if you don't have a refugium)
- hand removal of unwanted algae
- make sure your skimmer is working optimally
- vacuum substrate every once in a while

...and then patience. It should clear up but it won't be overnight.

mark
03-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Nuisance algae can be directly linked to excess nutrient. Control the nutrient, control the algae.

Keep the nutrients out from the start; consider source water, excess feeding, waste contributers (bio load).

Get the excess nutrient out; if using skimmer, lots of skimmate, regular water changes, remove detritus. Bind by use of "good" algae (cheato etc.) and prune.

And of course direct removal of the algae, either manually or use of clean up crews (but them ensure their waste removed).