PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone read this article yet?

Delphinus
11-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Eric Borneman's November 'Coral Whisperer' article has got me wondering.

If anything, I guess it's an argument to maintain doing water changes, running activated carbon, and possibly even other resins (Is 'ChemiPure' using bentonite, what Eric mentions is an 'activated clay'?)

Anyways, it's sure got me thinking.. Wondering what other people's take on this is.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/cw.htm

Canadian Man
11-25-2002, 11:58 PM
Hey Tony,
I don't really know what to think about that article.
It's something I have thought about when first starting the hobby many years ago....
Along the same lines I believe is the chemical build up of persons using tap water. Similar situation I suppose.

Any way I don't think I will change much from my allready regular schedule of monthly waterchanges, skimming and using carbon.

Tau2301
11-26-2002, 02:09 AM
I think I glanced at it and saw that it was basically recommending doing what I have been practicing for about a year.

I use Chemipure or Seagel on an ongoing basis. I have also been looking into Poly Bio-Marine's Poly-Filter after reading an article by Dr. Ron on the toxic build up up trace elements in an Marine Aquarium.

The Poly-Filter is for filtering and purifying both fresh and salt water aquariums. It is a formulation of a special patented material bonded to a synthetic matrix. By means of a unique proprietary process, the Poly-Filter is made impervious to salt and is also organic loving to certain materials. It can absorb and adsorb contaminants and other toxic materials found in nature or added to fresh and salt water with or without fish and invertebrates.

In no way do I view these as a cure, but as a step towards prevention.

Delphinus
11-26-2002, 04:29 AM
It just has me thinking about the practise of mixing too many species in together. The problem with taking the same view to reefing as to say, gardening, is you might end up thinking in terms of aesthetics instead of a natural pairing of compatible species found normally together in nature. As opposed to mixing species found in completely different oceans, etc. For example, my Red Sea Sailfin and my Banggai are two fish who would never see each other in nature.

What exactly is Poly-Filter? The last time I asked this question I was told "it's filter floss, same thing." Doesn't sound like the same thing to me... ?

Doug
11-26-2002, 12:59 PM
As good as polyfilter is, you need an extra job to keep buying it. :lol:

FWIW, I use well water a lot. Sometimes through the ro, sometimes not. I do however, use a large skimmer, a large scrubber, carbon and polyfilter.

Delphinus
11-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Holy moly, $50 for a single 12"x12" polyfilter pad at MOPS. Egads!!! :shock: :eek:

How often do you need to replace yours, Doug?

stephane
11-26-2002, 07:16 PM
I pay 13$ for a 4x12 localy!

Doug
11-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Pay the same as Stephane. Cut it in half. I use it until it turns very dark. Almost a month with passive use, less if in a power filter.

Still expensive though. I wonder if a little piece 4in. by 6in. is doing much good.

wayner
11-26-2002, 08:45 PM
I use poly-filter once in a while, mostly carbon, Polyfilter 4X12, buy it at mops. I use it passively, wrap it around the output from my skimmer.

reefburnaby
11-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Delphinus,

I run polyfilter on my replacement saltwater. I run polyfilter on the main tank, but I don't do it it very often. I guess my strategy is that the main trace elements are coming from my salt and water...I just remove it from the source with polyfilter and RO/DI. I guess this is a bit more cost effective.

Poly filter is similar to DI resin...not quite the same, but it is roughly the same idea. The poly filter has certain types of materials that will attract certain types of ions. Stuff like Copper, Lead and Heavy metals are not usually desired in water, so the makers of Poly filter synthesize a filter that targets those unwanted elements. Of course, if the makers don't target a key bad metal (say....Uranium), then it probably won't get filtered out.

Hmmm...just had a thought...anybody still using water conditioner ? Water conditioners are suppose to break down heavy metals in water.

That's my 2 cents.

- Victor.