PDA

View Full Version : Calgary - Good lunch spots?

albert_dao
03-16-2007, 07:13 PM
So, does anyone have recommendations on great afternoon dining locations in Calgary? I'm just looking for suggestions for after-school hits. Any type of cuisine, low to medium price range. Small places without the commercial feel would be great. No weird date places, lol.

Thanks in advance!

digital-audiophile
03-16-2007, 07:17 PM
If you like Japanese I highly recommed Shikiji. Up on centre street just before 16th ave. Great place for a steaming hot bowl of Ramen or a donburi. IMHO some of the best Japanese that I have had outside of Tokyo!

Their Ramen is around the $7.00 range so not much more than you would pay for gut rot at McDonalds.

albert_dao
03-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Hmm, I've only been there in the evenings. Liked it though. How busy is it during lunch?

digital-audiophile
03-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I usually make reservations at lunch becuase it can get crazy.

Another good spot it soba ten on 17th for their tempura and zaru-soba.

I bet you can guess my favorite type of food eh? :p

For the best Salt and Pepper squid in town you have to go to HoWan.

I think I should have been born Asian ;)

midgetwaiter
03-17-2007, 04:33 AM
For a once in a while type of thing definitely try Tubby Dog on 17th and 9th SW. It's unique.

ClubReef
03-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Albert,

Check out Bow Bulgogi on 3515 17ave, my favorite sport for Korean. Their short Rib bulbogi and Bibimbop is killer.

G1GY
03-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Reef 'n Beef
3735 Rundlehorn Drive NE
North East.
(403) 285-3322

/ thread. :)

AndyL
03-19-2007, 12:37 AM
[thread] (definitely not a fan of reef n beef)

Just went to Alberta King of Subs - beside 7-11 on 52st and temple drive (north end of temple drive). Montreal smoked meat was good, poutine was friggin AWESOME (real squeeky cheese curds *drool*). 18$ for a sammich & poutine though...

Palace d'eats down on 11st around 14th ave sw- best smoked meat in town, real small joint (might seat 20... uncomfortably) if you dont like MSM - go next door...

Galaxie diner right next door to ^ kinda like ardens' old diner. Typical diner fare, good but a bit pricey.

north of those two beside the cool glass shop is fat tonys (I think) pizza - really good pizza, not as good as toms house of pizza but much more reasonable pricing.

Two little vietnamese places - the one a few doors east of wais. And there's one on 32nd ave n.e in the plaza behind kfc/tacohell, really good subs there.

Over on 20th ave and 13th street n.w. there's a little family owned corner store / deli - definitely worth checking out.

17th ave at 27/28th or so street s.w. one has to stop when going by for real greek... Yes it's in the fasgas (or whatever that station is called now). Forget about the gas station, go get some lamb - way better than any of the sit down greek restaurants in calgary.

There's a little lebanese place on edmonton trail around 9th ave -think it's swarma king or similar in name... WAY better than you get at cedars - but don't fall for his taunts to try the HOT sauce... The spicey sauce is to die for however.

Forgot the best place ever... It is a bar however - Pete's peanut pub, follow richmond road past westhills. When you get to the 3 way stop, shoulder check left - Can't miss it. Best "real" food in calgary. Period.

My .02

albert_dao
03-20-2007, 07:46 AM
THanks guys! Will definitely try to get to those places these upcoming weeks.

riceboy
03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
go to jimmy's A&A awesome food its 20th ave and 13 st NW near sait awesome shawarma, but for being a date i'd go there when u know here really well, LOL, (could get a little messy) the shawarma is massive and is only 7-8 dollars, but man its packed with meat, definately have to eat with a fork and spoon
thanks
victor