PDA

View Full Version : Question about Snowflake Eel

bubblepuffer
03-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi, I see some good deal on a Snowflake Eel .. are those thing aggreasive? I am thinking of getting one but it will end up in a puffer's tank. I got Porcupine puffer,.. soon it will be together with a green spot when I got my 250g Reef tank ready, then will get Dog face in there too.. I am thinking putting the Porcupine and Snowflake Eel together right now if I am going to get 1, but afraid my Snowflake Eel beat up my Porcupine.. he is a chicken.

justinl
03-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Go ahead and get that eel. puffer and snowflake eel combo is a nice one. Just make sure that all your cohabitants of the eel (that you don't want eaten) are bigger than the eels mouth. Snowflakes, and most eels for that matter, aren't as aggressive as they're usually thought to be.

If the puffer puffs too often then it may indicate a problem (more than once a week), so just keep an eye on the porky. He'll let you know how he feels.

Ticketyboo
03-16-2007, 03:48 PM
I have a snowflake, a yellow head Eel and 2 lionfish in a 50 gallon and they all get along fine. The snowflake Eel, i do believe is one of the less aggresive Eels, but fantastic to watch with pretty colours. I find my yellowhead Eel more aggresive as when its feeding time, he likes to snatch the silverback from snowflakes mouth who hasnt quite figured out how to swallow the large piece of meat that i gave him. In the 4 weeks that i have had the eels, they have grown remarkably, they also like lots of rockwork to hide in.

Keep your tank nice and secure.... they are known to escape as mine constantly goes near the top of the tank and pops its head up at feeding time, so i now feed them with a stick near the bottom of the tank.

justinl
03-16-2007, 03:55 PM
oh yeah, good point. eel tanks, like octo tanks, need a tight lid. These guys are escape artists. There was even one guy who's wife found the eel... chilling in the kitchen! I personally wouldn't feel safe unless i had a lid that actually fastened down. eels can be pretty strong. I would go with a mesh lid to allow some gas exchange at the surface.

hey david, do you find that your eels are a slightly cramped? i thought snowflakes were rated for a 60gal minimum.

Ticketyboo
03-16-2007, 04:03 PM
At the moment my Eels are happy in their tank.... when i purchased them last month, they were both 6 inches so pretty small.... however now they are quite alot bigger and i feed them every second day... so thats why im selling my 50 gallon bowfront and upgrading to a larger 120 Tank and keeping to a predator tank with some puffers and triggers in their also. I dont like the bowfronts now as when i look at the tank at various views.... its like going to the circus and seeing different mirrors.... oh my head.....

In the tank i also have a sand sifting star, black sand sifting seacucumber and one heck of a massive conch thats about 4 inches to control all the algae etc..

I know its not reccomended to keep inverts or crusts with Eels, but mine are all ok and i needed something to sift the sand and deal with algae. Im also getting a sea hare to put in the tank also.

.... i have not told me wife about the upgrade yet...... i hope she understands...

Diana
03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
oh yeah, good point. eel tanks, like octo tanks, need a tight lid. These guys are escape artists. There was even one guy who's wife found the eel... chilling in the kitchen! I personally wouldn't feel safe unless i had a lid that actually fastened down. eels can be pretty strong. I would go with a mesh lid to allow some gas exchange at the surface.

Thats how we lost our eel. :(

First time he escaped we found him in time (he was dried up but when we put him back in the tank he came to life!).

Then several months later he managed to get by the tape we had along the back, god knows how long he was out for, but he was definately dead this time. Stupid little thing.... :(

bubblepuffer
03-16-2007, 04:52 PM
cool, then I shouldn't see any problem. The porcupine is about 4-5" and the only time I see him puff when I don't feed him and he want my attention. He eat like a pig =(

Ticketyboo
03-16-2007, 05:02 PM
here is a pic of my little cupcake.... i just introduced the spotted grouper to the tank also... hes now of a size that they cant eat him..

justinl
03-17-2007, 02:17 AM
bubblepuffer, i guess there's another reason you can call it a porky :mrgreen:

david, love the eel. love the grouper. panthers are my fave and i think i want one eventually. hehehe for your sake, i too hope the wife understands.