PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations on feeding tubastrea

Rumika
03-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Hello there,

I have just purchased what I believe is a Tubastrea. The LFS said it was a sunflower coral. I believe it is the same thing. Now my question is how should I feed it? Do I need to feed each individual polyp and how should I go about doing that. How often should I feed it? I have spirulina enriched brine shrimp,mysis shrimp and I bought coralife invertebrate smorgasbord. Is there something better or will this work.
Can I also train it to open up during the day? When we first purchased it they all would open up, but this morning there was a few that looked like they didn't open.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankx again

Rumika

Ephraim
03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
When they are new, they are usually underfed, so give each of the polyps some food every 2 nights at least. After a few weeks of that once a week should be fine. I have been feeding mine NLS and Mysis. Keep an eye on the fish and inverts in the tank that might steal the food away. After it has aclimated an is strong enough, the food wont get stolen, it'll pack enough punch to defend itself. I've been trying to train it to come out during the day but that seems to be a slow process, i can always get the best feeding response at 2am. Remember to place in high flow.

marie
03-15-2007, 09:03 PM
i can always get the best feeding response at 2am.
You get up at 2 in the morning to feed a coral? Now that's dedication :lol:

I found with mine, once it had got used to being fed mysis, all I have to do is blow some of the juice over it and all the polyps will open up. Now I feed it in the morning when the lights come on and it seems to stay open all day afterwards.

Ephraim
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
"Honey come back to bed"

As i am sitting in front of the tank at 2am witha flashlight in one hand and a turkey baster filled with mysis in the other

untamed
03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Feed in two shifts. Feed the fish, then return 1/2 hour later to feed the sun coral. I found that the coral opened in response to the fish feeding.