PDA

View Full Version : Starting Prodibio soon

spikehs
03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
I have been interested in trying these bacteria based additives to help keep you tank at minimal nutrient levels. I was going to go w/ the polyp labs system, but decided to go w/ Prodibio system for a couple of reasons.

1. Cost: Seems to be cheaper
2. Ease of use: They come in premeasured capsules that dont need to be refridgerated, you simply add 1 packet of each every 2 weeks.

As I dont have many corals in the tank at the moment, I opted to go for the BioClean 30 pack for now... if its improves the Nitrates/phosphate levels, i'll probably add the rest of the system once I start getting a higher level of corals in the tank.

I'll update this thread as I go along... Has anyone used this system yet?
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PRO-BC30&Category_Code=Prodibio

Ephraim
03-15-2007, 04:33 PM
i just started using this system as well(last week). I got a great feeding response off of the food, most of my lps puffed up like crazy. I'm really curious how it will perform in the long run, i'm using the entire line of supplements and i've got enough to do about 8 months. So we'll see how it goes, keep us posted on your progress.

christyf5
03-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Don't forget the "before" photos!!! :wink:

spikehs
03-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Don't forget the "before" photos!!! :wink:

will do... however, I plan on givething the tank a really good scrubbing beforehand. So it shouldn't look bad. Currently I have quite a bit of HA on the back wall, however its not growing/spreading so I think it must have just been the initial "new tank" bloom... I have phosphat/nitrate media removal in my canister filter (which is my return pump)... So my levels shouldn't be too bad (haven't tested for a while). Just waiting to get my replacement impleller for the euroreef rs80 and I should be away to the races.

letom
03-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I've been useing Digest,Biotoptim and Reefbooster since I started my current setup last September.I really like Digest and Bioptim it greatly helped cycled the tank and controlled unwanted algals.You can see the water clarity the next day , amazing... Orthophosphates are at 0.45 ppm on a DD Merck test kit,still on the high side but no algal bloom for now anyway though I have a small patch of cyanobacteria which is normal since tank is only 6 months old.As for Reefbooster,I really can't say but I still use it for now.

spikehs
03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Got it in the mail today, didn' realize how small these things were. gave the tank a good scrubbing, and will be dosing the first does on the weekend (want to start it on the 1st). Quite excited to see how this goes.

christyf5
03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Don't forget the pics :razz:

I'm pretty interested to see how this goes too. These dosing "systems" fascinate me for some reason.:biggrin:

spikehs
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Don't forget the pics :razz:

I'm pretty interested to see how this goes too. These dosing "systems" fascinate me for some reason.:biggrin:

yup, i'm going to take some just before I dose on Saturday...

Reefer Rob
03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I've been using Prodibio since May. In my old 72G I did it the "careful" way. Started with Biodigest and Bioptim, and once my nitrates started to drop I added Reefbooster. If my algae increased I stopped the Reefbooster.

When I started my new 180G 2 months ago I decided to follow Prodibio's instructions and see what happened.

I have been dosing 1 Biodigest and 4 Bioptim every 2 weeks on Thursday, and 2 Reefbooster every Sunday.

Nitrates peeked at 2.5 ppm and are now at .2. Algae is starting to decrease. The new tank cycle went really smooth and I only have 1 small (but healthy:smile:) patch of cyano.

I think if you just dose the whole system as it is meant to be used your tank will adjust to it with time and will be healthier in the end.

letom
03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
I've been using Prodibio since May. In my old 72G I did it the "careful" way. Started with Biodigest and Bioptim, and once my nitrates started to drop I added Reefbooster. If my algae increased I stopped the Reefbooster.

When I started my new 180G 2 months ago I decided to follow Prodibio's instructions and see what happened.

I have been dosing 1 Biodigest and 4 Bioptim every 2 weeks on Thursday, and 2 Reefbooster every Sunday.

Nitrates peeked at 2.5 ppm and are now at .2. Algae is starting to decrease. The new tank cycle went really smooth and I only have 1 small (but healthy:smile:) patch of cyano.

I think if you just dose the whole system as it is meant to be used your tank will adjust to it with time and will be healthier in the end.

Why do you use dose 4 bioptim and 1 digest? Isn't it supposed to be 1 digest to 2 bioptim?

Reefer Rob
03-28-2007, 12:09 AM
1 Biodigest for up to 1000 ltr
1 Bioptim per 200 ltr.
I have a total of 800 ltr in my system

letom
03-28-2007, 01:56 AM
1 Biodigest for up to 1000 ltr
1 Bioptim per 200 ltr.
I have a total of 800 ltr in my system

Your right.
Have you seen any real differences since you been dossing Reefbooster?

Reefer Rob
03-28-2007, 02:23 AM
I've been dosing Reefbooster since I started the tank 2 months ago, so I'm not sure what can be attributed to Reefbooster. I do think tank startup has gone extremely smooth though.

I decided to use the Reefbooster right from the start after reading a few threads about the Blue Coral Method. They feed a seafood mush called Papone and amino acids, which they claim feed all the organisms in the tank including bacteria and other organisms that help keep the water clean. I thought Reefbooster should have a similar effect.

My SPS corals are still relatively ugly since the tank is very new, but they are starting to come around quite quickly now. I've noticed in the past 2 weeks or so that growth is finally starting to pick up, and colors are getting back to normal again.

spikehs
05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
saw the polyp labs thread and thought i should update this one. Since starting the bioclean system I have noticed 2 things.

1. Decrease in hair algae
2. Decrease in valonia

I am actually not implementing the system properly, as I did not have my skimmer online for the vast majority of the time (just recently turned it on). I would hesitate to say it was all because of the prodibio, as I think the tank has matured a bit, and i added (around the same time) a rather large longspine urchin + a few trochus. I really like how you only have to dose every 2 weeks, rather than every day. Makes things much easier. For the cost that it takes to run on my tank, I think i'll continue to use it....

Snappy
05-30-2007, 10:35 PM
before & after pictures???

Reefer Rob
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I recently stopped Prodibio and started a macro-algae fuge. The macro-algae has Prodibio beat hands down for water quality and tank appearance.

Coral growth may be a bit slower now though, this could be due to a reduction in bacteria in the water, or maybe just the corals reaction to change.

I'm going to see how it goes for a couple of months, then I might try feeding Papone to increase growth.