PDA

View Full Version : Glass cutting

spoot
03-15-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi, I'm looking to get some glass cut for my sump baffles, anyone have any suggestions on places here?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Go to Candu Glass. They are located on Douglas, just a block south of Lougheed highway (near Brentwood Mall).

I have had all my baffles and glass overflow boxes cut there.

Anthony

andsoitgoes
03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Or you could do it the cheapo way like I did and find someone with a decent glass cutter (or heck, use a cheapo glass cutter you can find at walmart) then score/cut and you're done!!

Thicker glass cuts and works better, but you can use whatever (eg: glass from an old picture frame, the uglier the picture behind it, the better! :))

Where are you located?

fkshiu
03-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Yes, if it's just a couple pieces for nothing more than sump baffles, all you need is a cheapo cutter - got mine from Rona - and a bit of oil (which is very important).

Midknight
03-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Or you could do it the cheapo way like I did and find someone with a decent glass cutter (or heck, use a cheapo glass cutter you can find at walmart) then score/cut and you're done!!

Good ones can be picked up at stained glass shop.

spoot
03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Go to Candu Glass. They are located on Douglas, just a block south of Lougheed highway (near Brentwood Mall).

I have had all my baffles and glass overflow boxes cut there.

Anthony

Anthony, I've heard that Candu wasn't that cheap. I'll give them a call anyways.

I actually need the glass too, not just the cutter. Question for you guys that do your own cutting, how do you sand the edge of the glass so that it's not really sharp?
Thanks

Midknight
03-15-2007, 06:58 PM
As Andsoitgoes said you can get glass just about anywhere.
Internal baffels are easy as they don't need to be as thick as you have mostly equal pressure on both sides.
For grinding down the edges I picked up a large sharping stone at Princess Auto for $2.00.
I have lots of chunks laying around and several "Half tanks" also.
What size glass do you need?

Dan

spoot
03-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Midknight, I don't have the exact dimension on me, but the baffles will go into a standard 75g. So 1/8" window glass will work fine for the baffles? By glass cutters do people mean the tile cutter things where it scores the tiles and uses pressure to cut? Thanks!

Midknight
03-15-2007, 08:21 PM
It is the same basic function. I don't know if they are the same tools or not.
Myself I have a special pair of plyers that are curved and snaps the glass for you.
And yes the 1/4 glass would work great for this.

andsoitgoes
03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Yes, if it's just a couple pieces for nothing more than sump baffles, all you need is a cheapo cutter - got mine from Rona - and a bit of oil (which is very important).

oops... I um, forgot about the oil. Well, still have my fingers, guess I'm lucky!! ^_^

As for smoothing the edges - I think that'd be another oops *blush*.

Ah well, I was never known for being a by the books sorta guy :P

You'll do fine no matter what, if in doubt, add more silicone ;)

spoot
03-16-2007, 01:29 AM
It is the same basic function. I don't know if they are the same tools or not.
Myself I have a special pair of plyers that are curved and snaps the glass for you.
And yes the 1/4 glass would work great for this.

Midknight, do you mean 1/8" glass?

Midknight
03-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Midknight, do you mean 1/8" glass?

Yes, was trying to type fast at work between calls. :wink:
That will work fine. And if you need a hand I have been known to offered help once or twice.

spoot
03-16-2007, 04:37 AM
Cool, I should be alright though, but thanks so much for the offer :smile:

Anyone have tips on the order and method of siliconing in the bubble trap baffles?