PDA

View Full Version : red acro bug equivilant for Monti's or Birdsnest?

mark
03-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Like to try some other branching SPS. Dealt with a outbreak of the red acro bugs and now a little paranoid about bringing any more corals.

Will be staying from acros but how safe or what to look for if getting into some montipora or similiar?

mr_alberta
03-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Beware the monti eating nudibranchs. They are just as bad as the acro eating flatworms. I would gladly take red bugs any day of the week over those two.

Snappy
03-15-2007, 01:41 PM
When I had a red bug outbreak they were over everything, including birdsnest and even the monti danaes.
If you are in to sps it's safer to assume all corals need a dip whether from other reefers or a store. Many people and also LFS have red bugs and don't know it. I now try to dip everything in interceptor before I put it in my tank. I also now inspect corals with a magnifying glass before they go in the system.

Joe Reefer
03-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Just dipping corals in intercepter is not enough, they can live up to 30 mins in very high concentrations of the medication.

mark
03-15-2007, 10:43 PM
If I was to get something possibly with nudibranches guess would pull them off but what about eggs, are they visible?

Snappy
03-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Just dipping corals in intercepter is not enough, they can live up to 30 mins in very high concentrations of the medication.
Lando I guess I should have been more specific. When I said 'dip' I meant soke for at least 30-45 minutes.