PDA

View Full Version : Party in Your Mouth, Anyone? Laab Recipe

Der_Iron_Chef
03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
In the interest of preserving Chad's tank thread, I will post this recipe here for all to enjoy! Please only proceed at your own risk. Side effects include giddyness, elation, bamboozledness, and a general feeling of "wow, my life will never be the same."

Laab Namtok

1 lb. beef sirloin steak
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
6 shallots, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. ground roasted sticky rice**
1/4 cup lime juice
Cilantro (adjust to your taste...I like a lot)
Mint (same as cilantro)
Green onions (same same...)
1 tsp. red chili pepper

Marinade steak in fish sauce, shallots, chili and lime juice for thirty minutes or so. Sear in a pan or on a grill. Slice into thin strips and cook in a pan with the rest of the ingredients until meat is cooked to your taste. Serve with sticky rice.

**Roasted sticky rice powder is prepared by roasting the rice in a pan until golden brown, and then ground with a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder (I have an extra coffee grinder for spices, etc.)

Laab can also be made with ground beef or ground/chopped chicken or anything really. Substitute as you wish :smile: :mrgreen:

christyf5
03-14-2007, 05:29 PM
you lost me at the fish sauce. does it make it taste really fishy?

muck
03-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Might have to try this sometime.. though I don't have Mad Cooking Skillz. :sad:

Yes.. what is the fish sauce made of? or do you buy it in a bottle called fish sauce??

Delphinus
03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
do you buy it in a bottle called fish sauce??

Pretty much :)

Der_Iron_Chef
03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
The fish sauce, if tasted on its own, would not be pleasant! At least not to me. But in a recipe, it somehow adds to the overall flavour, which is amazing. This dish doesn't taste fishy. And if you're worried about that, just reduce the amount of fish sauce you use....but trust me, don't eliminate it!

You can buy it in bottles at most grocery stores these days, I think. I know for sure you can buy it at Superstore.

christyf5
03-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Cool thanks, cuz the rest of the recipe sounds great! :cool:

woodcarver
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Sounds great ,can't wait to try it out ...........Thanks.
...................Dave

fishmaster
03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Fish sauce certainly smells foul when you open the bottle....afterall, it's made from fermented fish. Usually anchovies. However, it's one of those secret ingredients used in many asian dishes. Espcially Thai cooking. One example would be red coconut curry. If you havn't tried it, it's to die for. I make it at home and let me tell you, it just doesn't taste right without the fish sauce.
Shaun.

muck
03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Fish sauce certainly smells foul when you open the bottle....afterall, it's made from fermented fish. Usually anchovies. However, it's one of those secret ingredients used in many asian dishes. Espcially Thai cooking. One example would be red coconut curry. If you havn't tried it, it's to die for. I make it at home and let me tell you, it just doesn't taste right without the fish sauce.
Shaun.

Coconut and Curry... Im intrigued.
Mind sharing the recipe for that as well?

Ryan

X-Treme
03-14-2007, 10:26 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Thanx Drew. MUCHO appreciated.

fishmaster
03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Ryan,
You can make your own red curry paste if you want. I use a pre made paste for a few reasons.#1, it's quick and easy. 2, I've taken the time to make my own pastes and didn't find the end result justified the time.3, You can buy quality pastes with no nasty additives.I like Thai Kitchen, their products are imported from Thailand and seem to be great quality. I actually got the base for my recipe off their curry paste jar. I've tried others but this is my fave:
Combine 1/2-1 1/2 Tbs( I like 1tbs-depends how much heat you like) paste with 1 can of good quality coconut milk in a saucepan. Simmer until paste is blended. Add about 4 tbs basil(sub fresh if you have),3tbs fish sauce, 2tbs brown sugar, 1/3 cup chicken stock,2-3 carrots sliced thin & 1 red bell pepper sliced. Once the carrots are almost cooked, add about one to two pounds of cubed fish-whatever you have that is fresh. I really like ling cod and have tried salmon and halibut with good results. You Alberta folk could probably use walleye, pike, larger trout ect....Or if you don't like seafood, use boneless skinnless chicken thighs. Once the fish is almost cooked through( Should be slightly translucent in the centre) add about a pound of raw peeled, room temp. prawns. Stir in the prawns, remove from the heat and cover. They should be cooked to perfection in about 2-3 minutes. Serve over jasmine rice. Mmmmmm, I think I know whats for dinner tonight!!!
Shaun.

Beverly
03-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Been away for a couple of days and you guys are sharing recipes :razz: :lol: