PDA

View Full Version : online shopping

justinl
03-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Okay i don't really know if this is in the right forum so sorry if it is.

My question is do any of you shop for livestock online? Im a complete noob at online ordering. If you do, could you let me know where are some good sites that ship to Vancouver? Id prefer not to pay for stuff accross the border due to ridiculous customs but Ill consider them anyways. thanks in advance!

niloc16
03-14-2007, 08:39 AM
my experience with livestock purchases online from outside of canada is impossible. i've emailed every bloody place that claims they ship and they state they do not ship to canada. they will all ship dry goods but whats the point. the benefit of online shopping for me would be to get primo crazy sps pieces, not a bucket of salt

Kabong
03-14-2007, 01:24 PM
The irony is.....
You live in the town where most of us get stuff shipped from.
J & L
Ocean Aquatics
Hidden Reef.

The only place's I've ever ordered from other then them is Frag Factory back east.

Ticketyboo
03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
You could always open up a mailing address in Blaine, WA.

I have my goods (Business and personal items) shipped to my mailing address in Blaine, and i pay $2 per item when i pick it up and clear customs myself at the border. The advantage for me living in white rock is that im 5 mins drive from Blaine.... however sometimes those *$%^&$%^ US Customs getting into the country gives you the rubber glove treatment as im a non canadian.

As for online shopping, try www.saltwaterfish.com as they have amazing deals if you sign up for the special offers and sometimes offer free overnight fedex shipping along with a livestock garauntee...

Here are some examples i got last week from them, remember prices are in US:

Copepods - Group of 200 $11.99
Turbo/Astrea Snails - Group of 10 $9.99
Blueleg Hermit Crabs - Group of 10 $9.99
Nassarius Snails - Group of 10 $9.99
Peppermint Shrimp - Group of 5 $17.99
Jade Hermit Crabs - Group of 10 $8.99
Emerald Crabs - Group of 3 $11.99
Ricordea Mushroom Polyps $7.99
Lettuce Nudibranch $4.99
Pink Tip Haitian Anemones $9.99
Brittle Starfish $7.99
Mexican Turbo Snails $2.99
Cleaner Clams $4.99
Royal Grammas $9.99
Green Chromis $4.99
Engineer Gobies $4.99
Yellow Cucumbers $9.99
Sally Lightfoot Crabs $8.99
Porcelain Crabs $6.99
Umbrella Mushroom Polyps $7.99
Shaving Brush Plant - Group of 5 $15.99
Coral Banded Shrimp $8.99
Arrow Crabs $7.99
Chocolate Chip Stars $9.99
Rock Anemones $7.99
Gold Coral Banded Shrimp $14.99
Fancy Nassarius Snails $4.99
Randalli Pistol Shrimp $19.99
Porcupine Puffer $12.99
Orange Linckia Starfish $19.99
Pajama Cardinal $4.99
Tomini Tangs $49.99

Anyone wanting to setup a mailing address from Blaine, let me know and i will forward you the details. Its $10 to get one sorted out and then $2 per parcel delivered.

P.s. ..... Anyjoy on a Mantis Justin?

Doug
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Okay i don't really know if this is in the right forum so sorry if it is.

My question is do any of you shop for livestock online? Im a complete noob at online ordering. If you do, could you let me know where are some good sites that ship to Vancouver? Id prefer not to pay for stuff accross the border due to ridiculous customs but Ill consider them anyways. thanks in advance!

Have a look at the sponsers of this board. Most here have purchased from them.

justinl
03-14-2007, 03:46 PM
hahaha, my most frequented supplier so far has been JL because i know it is a fantastic store, but like ticketyboo pointed out im looking for a mantis in particular. JL has none as yet. funny thing is that i know i probably won't get a peacock mantis from an online supplier because no one ever does. oh wells, im getting desperate.

Ticketyboo, is the free overnight fedex to canada or only to the US address? I may be interested in setting up a mailing addy like you did.

Ticketyboo
03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
www.securitymailservices.com for the mailbox setup in Blaine and free overnight fedex to US address only. However i'm all for keeping business local when we can and supporting our local stores.

niloc16
03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
i believe hidden reef has a peacock mantis right now

Ticketyboo
03-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up Colin.... they are asking $38.99 for it and its about 2.5 inches. Want to share it Justin?

Ticketyboo
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Justin..... you can have first dibs on the Peacock Mantis seeing as you have such a passion for one.

I reserved it under my name (David) at Hidden Reef and spoke to Mark and let him know that you are looking for one.

If you dont pick it up by the end of the week, then i will take it on Monday. :biggrin:

niloc16
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
no problem ticketyboo, they have another type too but i'm not good at identifying the mantis shrimps, but they other one is about the same size but totally different colors, its not a peacock though.

Jason McK
03-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Ordering form the US and crossing the border with corals and most fish is illegal as they are regulated under CITES. You can get things over the border if you have the correct paperwork, But getting the paperwork is costly and expensive. the price of getting cought is higher than most people are willing to risk.

J

Chin_Lee
03-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Ordering form the US and crossing the border with corals and most fish is illegal as they are regulated under CITES. You can get things over the border if you have the correct paperwork, But getting the paperwork is costly and expensive. the price of getting cought is higher than most people are willing to risk.

J

corals and liverock needs the correct CITES paperwork. Fish and inverts do not need CITES. I just ran a whole bunch of the fish and invert's common names and latin names on CITES web site and they are not listed. Only some fish are listed but not the ones that we commonly want in our hobby. don't order corals or rock and you should be fine.

justinl
03-14-2007, 11:10 PM
hidden reef eh? wow thanks ticketyboo (i guess i should start calling you david)! If i do come accross another mantis I will definitely let you know. Are you sure it's a peacock? All peacocks are the only ones with the leopard spots on the head and have red legs.

justinl
03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey David, how about if I take the pecock, you take the other one? once I get a look at it, Ill do my best to let you know what species it is.

sharing, hehehe, can you imagine the chaos of getting it out and in the tanks and the weekly shipping from white rock to Port Moody and back again? that woud be one stressed mantis. "high octane lifestyle" would be appropriate i think.