PDA

View Full Version : Caulerpa

Tau2301
11-24-2002, 07:41 PM
My Caulerpa has gone from a tank brimming full to just a few stringy pieces in just over a month. This is my critter tank that only has worms and pods.

It was previously thriving on weekly water changes from my main tank. This was done to keep the tanks at the same parameters until I got around to joining the two together via an overflow.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Bob I
11-24-2002, 08:06 PM
As you know I keep lots of Caulerpa, and the only time I lost most of it is when it sporulated. I was only able to retain about 10% to start over. It appears this sporulation happens when it gets overcrowded.
Bob

Tau2301
11-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Yes, I would have considered it to be crowded.

Bob I
11-25-2002, 12:27 AM
Did your Caulerpa sporulate? Did the tank go cloudy, and most of the caulerpa become transparent. Or did it just go downhill slowly. I found mine thrived in the refugium while it was fed by older tank water. Now that I have moved into my new 50 with mainly new water, the Caulerpa does not grow as fast. I fed the tank some iron today, as it used to make the caulerpa grow faster. :D

Tigger
11-25-2002, 04:29 AM
I too had the same problem. I started with a little bit of caulerpa in my 10Gal refugium. It was growing really well. About 1 month ago I had a whole tank full. Now I think I have one strand.

I thought may I ran out of nutrients (which is probably unlikely).

Should I try putting more into the tank or is this a bad idea?

What happens to the nutrient level of the tank when it all dies so quickly?

Steve

Bob I
11-25-2002, 03:15 PM
I too had the same problem. I started with a little bit of caulerpa in my 10Gal refugium. It was growing really well. About 1 month ago I had a whole tank full. Now I think I have one strand.

Did it go sexual on you? I would think that when it all dies suddenly, it would release all the nutrients it had absorbed back into the water. I would not be afraid to put some more in. It does need nutrients, and I would think you could run out. That is why I fed mine some iron.

All I am saying is speculation. I would really like to see a technical writeup on the stuff to try get some more understanding.
Bob

Tau2301
11-25-2002, 03:27 PM
I didn't see it sporulate or go transparent. It just seem to melt without any residue.

It seem to start just after I had torn a bunch out to give to a friend.

When I first noticed it was fading away I started dosing with Reef Complete. It's all I had on hand that had Iron in it except for some rusty nails. :)

I quite using Reef Complete after I took time to read the label. One of the components was copper - imagine a Reef additive with copper in it.

Maybe the few strands that I have left will grow back.

The worms and pods are still thriving.

Bob I
11-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Maybe the few strands that I have left will grow back.

I have taken to thinking we should have various sources for the stuff. Then when yours dies you just go to where you know there is some. I for instance gave a big bunch to Ross.

And yes the few strands will probably grow back. It does not take a lot to restock. It just takes some time.

Delphinus
11-25-2002, 04:03 PM
My 75g tank is overgrown with the same razor caulerpa you gave me, Kim... At some point this week I will be undertaking a massive pruning because I have let it get a little out of hand. I should have set up a refugium and let it grow in there, but alas I did not (water under the bridge now). Anyways so you are of course welcome to as much as you'd like....re

As to the melting .... I think that sometimes it can happen without sporulating. I gave Jonathan prunings of the razor caulerpa on 2 or 3 separate occasions and it never took, he said it just disintegrated. It makes me think that if the stuff is cut, it can release something that is hazardous to it's own health. I am only speculating here, but I've been reading on RC recently about caulerpa and other macro algaes releasing "secondary metabolic inhibitors" (or some such) that negatively impact the growth of nearby SPS. If these metabolites or whatever they are are intended to impede competing macros then perhaps it is "not entirely a huge quantum leap of unfounded reasoning" to speculate that something is released that is not good for the algae (and hence itself too). If this is true then I am not certain what the steps are to prevent it when transplanting. Perhaps running some carbon...? ??? :? ???

Tau2301
11-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Tony. let me know what day/evening you are doing the pruning and I will come over with bag in hand - thanks.

Maybe the only way to keep a crop is to share it out and then ask for some back when it dies.

Bob I
11-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Maybe the only way to keep a crop is to share it out and then ask for some back when it dies.

That seems to be just what I said in a previous post in this thread. :D :D :D :P :P

Tau2301
11-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Great minds think alike :D

Tigger
11-26-2002, 02:18 AM
Mine didn't turn white.
I took some out to give to a friend and then it slowly melted away.
I never cut mine, I just pulled some of it out.

Maybe it is a seasonal thing.